Need Some Electrical Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverickmk

Rebel Rodder
I want to set up a small powder coating area in my garage. I got a free stove to use for the oven. My problem is that the 220 outlet I already have in my garage is a three prong and the stove has a four prong pigtail on it.
Can I make it work by using a three prong pigtail? See below for some pictures.

The current plug is in black. The one I bought is the gray one.

Here is the wiring at the back of the stove.

You should be able to run it with three wires.

- On the stove, your red and black are hot, the white is neutral and the green is ground.
- Your three-prong (source) should be two hots and ground, no neutral.

Wire the two hots and ground. Since you have no neutral, you'll have no 110v in the stove, but the heating elements should work just fine.

Man, have guys who i work with that couldnt explain that to me like that and im an electrician lol

You should be able to run it with three wires.

- On the stove, your red and black are hot, the white is neutral and the green is ground.
- Your three-prong (source) should be two hots and ground, no neutral.

Wire the two hots and ground. Since you have no neutral, you'll have no 110v in the stove, but the heating elements should work just fine.

Which means no clock or timer. No biggy.
Will your oven heat hot enough to "cook" powder coating? I don't even know how much heat you need.
Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out.

I agree with Phil, green wire is just another ground, used mainly in mobile homes. Black and red are hot, white and green are ground. You sould still have 110 on each side, black + white and red + white. Green is generally a case ground. No big deal if its not hooked up, didn't even have them for years.

I don't want to argue but the green wire is the one you can eliminate. The green ground and white common are basically the same thing. Just wire the new pig tail to the stove matching the colors. You will have to have a receptacle to match the pig tail.

Excellent, thanks guys.
The reason I'm putting a three prong on it is because I already have that outlet for my compressor and figured this would be the easiest way to utilize this oven.
And yes, this will get hot enough, I have found several guys that have used old stoves for this purpose.

Rewire per the earlier posts said is probably most efficient or you could get an RV 30A to 50A pigtail and just plug and play. :)

The 4-prong outlet is only about $25. :D My welder came with a 4, so I made the rest of the 220 equipment the same.

Latest posts

Back