New from Va!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat300

Hey guys, my names Zach and I'm currently in Fredericksburg, Va! Really want to start a rat build and have done tons of research but I just need to do more. There are so many little questions that are hard for Google to answer. I know I would be breaking the "true" rat rod build by building one from an IFS frame but thats the easyest for me to build on my budget, I'm only 17 and still in high school! Really stoke for the build this summer
(I hope) :D :D :D

Hey guys, my names Zach and I'm currently in Fredericksburg, Va! Really want to start a rat build and have done tons of research but I just need to do more. There are so many little questions that are hard for Google to answer. I know I would be breaking the "true" rat rod build by building one from an IFS frame but thats the easyest for me to build on my budget, I'm only 17 and still in high school! Really stoke for the build this summer
(I hope) :D :D :D

Welcome to the forum! Do as MUCH research as you can and build what you can, even if it's IFS.
As you already know, I'm a little bias to ifs since that's what I have :D

Whatever you build, make sure it's 100% safe. Your like and everyone driving around you will depend on it!

Spend some time welding together small stuff (tables, welding carts, shelving) and get some practice on it.
When you go to buy a donor vehicle, look for one with a title in your state. You'll save yourself a lot of headache down the road that way. You might spend a little more $$$ on the front end of the project, but you'll save more $$$ and time on the back end that way.

When you start your project, take lots of photos!!!!
Everyone on here, including myself, love stories about what you have, but would prefer to SEE them more :)

Welcome from Michigan...

Cool that you are into old rides at 17.....thought you guys like those rice burners...LOL.... find it, ask lots of questions, build it.....we'll be waiting for you to start the build thread....[P

cool;

lFS is fine, me l like it better than a straight axle, and by the way l am an old fart and have built cars in 1975 that would be considered rats by today's standards so l have some experience in the car building area.

my 1948 dodge has lFS, my 1930 dodge sedan has lFS, my 194Oish dodge street legal circle track race car has lFS and my 1935 chevy project car has lFS [;)...see a pattern here [ddd

so go and enjoy building a rod and put in the lFS, like others have said, BUILD IT SAFE, good brakes, tires and steering, don't cut corners on safety. :D

don't forget to post pics, pics...pics[P

Later :cool:

Get after it young gun... you can do it & there's plenty of help here so keep us posted!!! :D

BoB

Welcome to the forums, from Roanoke.

Cool that you are into old rides at 17.....thought you guys like those rice burners...LOL.... find it, ask lots of questions, build it.....we'll be waiting for you to start the build thread....[P

Easy on the rice burners, boss... I get 30mpg in my rust bucket... :p

Zack, welcome . IFS works, just do your math. Heres how i did it with a "pinto" works great and cost 50 bucks. Keep us in the loop.

Attachments

• Build 037.jpg
    Build 037.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the site.
I started building cars when I was 15 and can't seem to shake the illness.
The IFS is the way to go on the first build as all the geometry is already done for ya.
If ya don't weld get a buddy that does and learn from him/her. You do the not critical parts and he/she does the safety related stuff.
Above all Enjoy the hell out of it [dr

Latest posts

Back