Now Im scared. Is my truck crap??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hello.

I keep hearin the talk bout my truck being a old navy truck and how there bondo filled junkers. Did I buy a pile of crap? I think it looks nice, but Im not sure now??
Any ideas on it? RR

I wished my truck looked that good when i found mine. I think your truck is a great start to go away way you would like to go with it.

I saw that truck at Springfield and actually looked it over at the guys house about a month before the swap meet. It has potential and the doors were very solid. Like all projects you can go as far and deep as you want. If you didn`t sink in for the asking price then take it apart and find out what is there. I think it would make a good satin truck if done right.
I found this body at a forclosed home in Urbana and stuck it on an S-10 frame doing all the work myself.( My wife did help) I had $5000 total money spent with about four months of time. It can be done!

Aerocolor

Attachments

• playing 091.jpg
    playing 091.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 56
  • playing 094.jpg
    playing 094.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 76
This is what it looked like when I brought it home.

Attachments

• SHOP TRUCK 1.jpg
    SHOP TRUCK 1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 105
i looked a few over they looked like a great project start. who cares if it has bondo? rat rods rule. looks like a real nice truck to play wittth just my 2 cents oh DONT WORRY WHAT ANY ONE ELSE THINKS be your self

Old Navy store props only had to be done well enough to impress soccer moms and 10 year old kids.

Some of them might have started out as decent trucks (lucky for you if your is a solid truck).

Some of them were way less than perfect to start. I saw more than one, where the repair work did not appear to be structurally sound...because it didn't have to be....they did just enough to hold the bondo, paint, and new chrome.

I imagine they were built quickly and for the least amount of money possible.

Yeah That`s right. They were basically a store prop with no function required BUT if bought cheaply enough they could be saved and you do have two new bumpers and chrome grille :)

Seriously, It does get you the majority of parts for a build and a TITLE! The rest can be bought as you go. I still like buying western trucks for project starts. You get a lot more for the money spent.

Ford is from Montana
Chevy is from Missouri

Attachments

• 51 1.jpg
    51 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DARS 5 WINDOW1.JPG
    DARS 5 WINDOW1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
hey ratrodney, just an idea but if you're worried, find a bodyman-i mean a real one, not a B.S.'er-and have him go over it for you-as flipper and these other guys know, some were not soundly repaired, but there are exceptions- i for one saw a decent one in a store a few years ago and thought it would be a great starting point for a rod .....there are also a alot of companies making repair panels for those yr. models--so if you got a bad fender-so what, get a different one -don't get too discouraged before you start! we're just looking at a few pics and hope you didn't get a rip-off i don't think anyone's trying to insult you or your choice in a truck

remember ALL of our rides started somewhere-yours has to as well
HRP

Anything can be repaired/rebuilt. ....if it is rougher than what it looks like on the surface.

The only downside is that you might have paid too much for a rough truck or paid for paint and bodywork that have to be stripped off to be fixed. It all depends on how you end up building the truck.

My truck is badly rusted, but I like the found behind a barn/left for dead look.

At the end of the day, what you paid for it, really doesn't matter if you enjoy the build and then the finished product.

Isn't rust and bondo what it's all about? You have a starting point better than most, maybe worse than others. Some have started out with a pile of unrelated rust. Others with a good body.

The nice thing is that there is almost every body part available new for that truck including a brand new cab from Chevs of the 40's (if you got real deep pockets).

My advice is be happy with what you have and roll up the sleeves and dive in. We have all found things we did not expect and had to deal with it. Do not let anyone discourge you. If you like the truck and are willing to put in the effort, time and money do it the way you want in your time frame. I think you have a great truck in your future there. I, for one, can't wait to see the end result.

Rodney, I f you like your truck and you do not feel that you paid too much for it, don't worry what other people think. Most of my neighbors and friends think I am crazy spending tons of time and more money on a rust bucket. But its my rust bucket.

Master5.jpg

Doubtful Old Iron

If I can make something out of this old hulk of steel you can surely get yours to a point of being happy with it. As the others said, don't concern yourself with the opinions of others. Make it yours and enjoy the journey. :D

Thunder

Attachments

• Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 386.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 386.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 390.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 390.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 54 Ford Bed 001.jpg
    54 Ford Bed 001.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 17
Hey Rodney.
Almost everything out there has some bondo.....especially if it has paint! And besides, how much is too much? It's all relative.The guys in my "street rod club" wouldn't put more than a hundred bucks in my truck.........but when I got to a cruise, more than one person in the crowd around it tries to buy it. So build it, drive it, and GRIN.

Shakey

Rodney,

Depending on what you paid for it vs. how solid it is, I wouldn't worry if it makes you happy.:)

FWIW, there's been one of those "Old Navy" AD Chevys sitting on an antique car used car lot near me for well over a year. The sign says "perfect for your drivetrain drop it in and GO." The price? $9500!!! The sign also says it's a '53....hmmm...funny, it has one piece side glass....thought that was only from late '47 until '50.:rolleyes:

Did you get a clear title which matches the VIN on your driver's door post? Are the frame and body structure solid? These are probably the most important factors.

I've been in love with the AD style Chevys for years and I still don't have one. It's one of those "maybe someday" kinda things...

Good luck and hope you enjoy yours! Keep us up to date-you know we like pictures!:D

Regards,
Shea:)

Did you take a magnet to it, before you spent your money ? :confused:

Or did you buy it over the phone ? :rolleyes:

I keep hearin the talk bout my truck being a old navy truck and how there bondo filled junkers. Did I buy a pile of crap? I think it looks nice, but Im not sure now??
Any ideas on it? RR

Thanks everyone.
I'll chk it out w a magnet tomorrow.
My gf loves it and since its pretty solid were thinking of making it her project and droppin a stock engine into it and maybe I;ll buy a more radical rat rod type vehicle.
Mr Gussett is a friend of mine and has been lookin for a nice start for me to, so well c wat happens I guess. RR:D

i'M WITH MOST OF THE OTHERS. i STARTED WITH A TOTAL RUST truket. With some time it can be fixed. Maybe not showroom but good enough for me and most on RRR

Latest posts

Back