Officially on travel probation...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryVoodooGirl

sooooo. Denied entry into the states just a couple hours ago. They didn't believe me that I had no intention of working. I was lead to the secondary customs office in cuffs, interrogated for two and a half hours, fingerprinted and mug shot. So now I get to fly back to Calgary, and for the next 5 years I have to travel with a binder of paperwork essentially, to prove that I will indeed return to Canada. I guess when they pulled up records showing I'd applied for a temporary residency (was denied because I didn't meet requirements) they've decided that I was just going to stay there and wet-back it. All because I answered truthfully at the first customs gate. Yes, I'm a tattooer, staying with friends, supporting myself with personal funds etc etc. Needless to say, I'm a few whiskey sour's in.

bummer

all the ''non-legal'' people in the states, they just just don't care, but try and do it the right way, ya get cuffed and stuffed.

bummer the treated you so bad,:(

Later :cool:

honesty was my biggest mistake. Telling them I tattooed automatically led them to assume I was going to work there. Seeing the residency application made it worse. So now I have to carry with me utility bills, phone records, bank statements, credit card statements, yearly tax forms etc etc and always book a round trip. Even then they told me they have the right to limit the duration of my stay. Even if it is within the aloted 6 months Canadians are allowed to visit. I can book a month trip and they can technically tell me "nope, 2 weeks"

Sorry to hear about this. I had no idea we were tough on entry for Canadians.

Maybe you could fly to Mexico and walk across. Millions do every year. (This probably isn't the right time for me to try being funny).

That just sucks, they won't even deport any of the illegals from Mexico who are draining our system dry. Let a person try to enter legally and they get screwed. You have been here enough times (which they already know) that you will go back to Canada. They should realize that you may want to apply for temp residency again and wouldn't do anything to mess that up.
I guess you could always learn to speak spanish, fly to Mexico and cross the Rio Grande with the rest of the illegals. I apoligize for all of our stupid bereaucrats.

Well...........we have always been a little suspicious of you Canadians, you get all that good health care and your exchange rate is better than ours. :D It could mean nothing or it could mean we are getting ready to invade. :eek::D

That Canadian/American border must be one tough line to cross. A few months ago my Son's band was playing a gig in Canada and the drummer was denied entry because he had a DUI in the States in the past 10 years. They turned him around and flew him back to Florida, and the band had to hire a local drummer.

But like the guys said, the border on the South is like a revolving door. I know a Mexican that has been deported 3 times and he is back at work two weeks later in the States. :rolleyes:

Don

Wow....... never ceases to amaze me...

The system sucks....I agree.... try to do something by the book and you get slammed.... I think that sometimes Homeland Security and the people working the borders have just too much power...and like other governmental agencies in both countrys, it's abused..... sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it.... prime example....Canadian police can come into the states armed while in uniform and in marked patrol units to pick up a prisoner.....but not vise versa....I went to pick up a prisoner in Sarnia in full uniform, marked unit...and was told I'd have to leave all my weapons at their border.....ahhhhh NO! My response....keep the guy ..... left them wide eyed and mouth open....:eek: Sorry it worked out that way for you.....

I don't think the problem is getting into America - it's getting OUT of Canada!

Why would we want to leave Canada? The US is a nice place to visit, but....Well, you know the rest

Sorry to hear about your misfortune ScaryVoodooGirl.....I know a number of people that cant go to the US because of minor brushes with the law, but have not heard of being denied in your situation...Guess the immigration people lump them all together

yep

good for you sarge:D[cl

l know there weird at the border, l worked in canada in 2001, was there for 3 weeks. one week left one my visa, l was downtown BC, got pulled over for no reason, not speedin' and l do not drink. copped ask for my ID, said my visa was pulled and to leave and never come back to the country. l have no real criminal back ground, so to this day l have no idea why.[S

reminds of the blues song ''Blues At The Border''...James Armstrong

Later :cool:

been doing lots of research while I've been waiting to get back to Calgary (8 hours in this airport...gross) Apparently the agent who first checked me is known for being super picky as to who she allows in. And tried to make an example out of me. When they first started to interrogate I was placed in handcuffs, lead infront of a group of people into another small room and left in cuffs until another border officer came into the room. Only then did they release the handcuffs and start to actually question me. Because I didn't have a return flight booked (was going to drive the Galaxie back) and had some business cards on me (combined with previous attempt at temp residency) they assumed I was going to try and stay in America illegally.
When they asked for proof of ties to Canada my passport, birth certificate and health care cards were not even considered. Nor was my Credit Card. So essentially this is where I'm at.
From now on I will only carry a carry on, no luggage what so ever. I also need to have copies of the following EVERY time I travel, even if it's just a layover in the US:
-Tax Returns
-Birth Certificate
-Credit Card Statements
-Bank Statements
-Lease agreement
-Phone bill
-Utility bill
Return flights booked well in advance.

Even then they can still deny my "application" to enter the country at anytime.

The only thing I have going in my favor is in their hurry to make me feel like a criminal they didn't actually stamp my passport that my application was denied. I still have the copies of the paperwork (after demanding I get copies) that show I willingly withdrew my application for entrance (even though they denied....this is thanks to the second agent, who convinced the first one to not press charges and that it was a simple mistake/what-have you)

I was told though, that even if travelling for leisure (as this trip was, a Deadbolt show and visiting friends in NC) I can't have so much as a business card on me, or I will be denied and risk permanent banishment from the country.

I had a similar incident happen to me about 10 years ago while crossing at the Calis ,Maine border. The guy was the spittin image of G.W.Bush,(really,he was). Held me for over 2 hours,ripped my van apart, then I had a buy a visitors permit ,(only 7 bucks) and was told to turn it in at the same location upon returning into Canada. I hadn't planned on going home that way . That was the only time in about 50 crossings that I had a problem and only with this guy.

skull? Next time you're in Vancouver, put some red hot sauce in your eyes, rent a Honda and change your name to Hoo Flung Poo. You'll blend right in and you can drive on the sidewalk if you like. :D

VoodooGirl. Could be the fact you hail from Calgary. Maybe wrap a sheet 'round your head and call yourself Mrs. Hava Likkerstorr-Abulla-Taksee.... Oh... wait..... that's how you get into Canada. :confused: [S

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. Good luck getting it straightened out.

skull? Next time you're in Vancouver, put some red hot sauce in your eyes, rent a Honda and change your name to Hoo Flung Poo. You'll blend right in and you can drive on the sidewalk if you like. :D

VoodooGirl. Could be the fact you hail from Calgary. Maybe wrap a sheet 'round your head and call yourself Mrs. Hava Likkerstorr-Abulla-Taksee.... Oh... wait..... that's how you get into Canada. :confused: [S

Seriously though, I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. Good luck getting it straightened out.

much needed laugh!
The second agent actually told me Winnipeg (for whatever reason) is one of the toughest borders to cross via flights?! And he suggested just spending the extra $$ and flying direct from now on. So, there we go! Attempting another entrance on Sunday...fingers crossed haha

I agree with GJM. Next time tell them you will work but for less than minimum wage, that you need to buy everything, and that you are willing to volunteer for the military to be supplied with fraudulently overpriced materials and take a bullet in a for profit war. In fact you could just tell them you are actually a Mexican and they will look the other way so you can cross over. I just learned that if you are going in front of a parole board your chances are many times better if you are scheduled at a time of day when the boardmembers blood sugar levels are high. First thing in the morning after their breakfast and right after lunch. 4 pm, forget it. Might take this into consideration when you try to cross again. :rolleyes: Sorry about your ordeal.

Latest posts

Back