Oh oh, florida guys get your slicks on!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I just saw on another forum where they are planning the first ever Billetproof drag races, somewhere in central Florida. Oct 11 is the date being discussed, but not set in stone yet.

If I can get my latest RPU running before then I would love to go down the quarter mile again. Wonder how the rules will be on rollbars? Most HAMB drags and stuff like that let you run sans rollbar.

I heard rumors of this at Billetproof this year...........I really really hope they do it. Maybe Dan can see how that 464 Olds in his RPU REALLY runs! :D:D

Don

My Anglia already has Radir pie crust slicks on it. I'd like to see how my hemi coupe runs though. Maybe I can match race Dan's big Olds :D

I worked on my RPU yesterday, trying to get it done in time for the races. Got the body pulled off and started modifying the front motor mounts so I can install the new Jackson Racing TH350 behind the Olds 406. Right now it has the old Dual Path Olds cast iron monster tranny in it, and that had to go.

I got about half way done with the front mount, as as soon as I am done with that I can pull out the engine, bolt the new transmission temporarily behind it, and start making the transmission mount. Going to build in a driveline hoop too.

I spoke via PM to Alan, who heads up the Billetproof deal because I was concerned about not having a roll bar. He told me it was going to be at an outlaw track somewhere in mid Florida (date and location yet to be announced, but it looks like Oct 25th) There are only two rules:

1) Must be no newer that 1964

2) Must wear a helmet

Since my car is a 1929 and the Olds engine is a 1964 I am right in there. I should make it because I'm not shooting for beautiful with this one, just want it to look like something someone would have built in the 60's. Won't give Don Garlits any worries about me being faster than him, but it should be fun. I'm getting excited. Dan says if he is done with his he wants to make a few passes too.

Don

Got my body off.....

RPUmotormounts003.jpg

This is the monster tranny I am getting rid of......

RPUmotormounts004.jpg

Here is the adapter kit that will mate the Olds to the TH350.....

Oldsmobilebellhousing005.jpg

And here are my new motor mounts............

RPUmotormounts010.jpg

I may want a shot at that big Hemi that a certain 32 Ford is sportin'. LOL

I

I may want a shot at that big Hemi that a certain 32 Ford is sportin'. LOL

Why is evrybody pickin on me?:D Your RPU is lookin sporty Don. I hope you get it all together in time. I can't even climb in and out of my car right now. At this rate, I might have to hop up a mobility cart for the races.

Geez Bill, really sorry to hear that it's still giving you trouble. Are you going to a Dr or Chiropractor? If so, what are they saying. Back problems can really be life altering, no matter what you do it hurts to move.

As for that mobility chair thing, you know they are having minibike races, maybe you can enter one of those. :D:D

Don

Yea, I'm in treatment right now Don

Hey Don, the rules say you have to have to have a helmet. You better check into a newer one. They might not let you use that old leather helmet you wore back in your racing days :D

Last edited:
Oooooooooooooooooh, now I really am gunning for you!!:p Actually, we just put coconut shells on our heads when we raced our Dinosaurs.:D

Hope your back gets better.

Don

Latest posts

Back