OK, so maybe I'm not losing my mind...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallfoot

He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!
For the last couple of weeks I've been getting ready to do a motor and tranny swap in my C10. In the last year with the heart attack, meds that put me in lala land most of the day, and getting into old man land after 65, it seemd that I was losing some of my mental grip if ya know what I mean. Forgetfullness, losing things, CRS...etc. Things like laying my tools about where I was using them has been my normal forever, but of late things just didn't compute and I couldn't believe I have been losing some of the stuff I have. Several trips to town and parts stores to get parts I know for a fact I had bought already to do this project. It was getting very strange. The back of my barn has two rooms divided by doors from the main barn. One is used for buffing and building stuff that I want to have a relatively clean place away from the general work area. The other is used mainly for storage. I have stuff stored for several people, most of it is in bins and just sits there with relatively no traffic in this room. Normally unless I'm using the rooms, the doors are shut. Partially that lets me know if somebody else has been looking around. I keep them closed. It's a thing I have about being aware of my surroundings out here. I'm a long ways from anywhere and I live by myself. I look for signs of others, vehicle tracks, man tracks, animal tracks keep me aware. No such signs are seen here very often but I always look. Ok, this morning I walk into the storage room looking for something and noticed two of the plastic bags containing my new header bolts nad collector bolts laying on the floor of the room next to some leftover lexan and pattern material leaning against a small set of shelves I store stuff in. The storage shelf is rather simple. Top shelf, bottom shelf and the bottom one leaves a small area underneath that is maybe 3" high of the floor. Just for grins, I move the lexan and cardboard out of the way to check out the shelves.....jeeze!!!:eek:

Grabbed a crowbar to dig this crap out... and looky what I found....[S

Lemesee, there's the cutting discs I bought, all 6 of them, that I re-bought. There's the damn flashlight I been looking for. There's the new light bulbs and sockets I re-bought the other day. Oh, and there's them starter bolts I re-bought. Half my frigging tool box is in this pile seems like. Don't know what kind of critter it is building this nest but expect it is a squirrel. Lots of acorns here too. I've seen squirrels in the barn, I've seen small field mice in here, and I've seen rats too....this pile has several wrenches from 7/16 up to 11/16, pair of small vise grips, scizzors, picks, screwdrivers, flashlight, several bolts up to 5" long, nuts of all sizes, washers, tag light fixtures, light bulbs brand new in bubble packs, small heim joints also in plastic, an axle hubcap, assorted plumbing parts, sanding disc, 5 or 6 tubes of acrylic paint, assorted brackets of all sorts, a Busch lite metal bottle[S, a set of header gaskets, a t350 dip stick, and shot gun shells...I haven't completely dug it all out yet but maybe there's a rat rod in there somewhere this guy is building out of my parts...:rolleyes:
Come tomorrow, ain't gonna be another living creature within a hundred yards of my barn!!!

Come tomorrow, ain't gonna be another living creature within a hundred yards of my barn!!![/QUOTE]

Now that's funny....crazy but funny[cl[cl[cl
at least you found your stuff Smalls.....

Maybe you got one of them split personalities and you put all that stuff there yerself?!

Those pictures are hilarious! And I bet your relieved that your not going senile. [cl

thoughts

you say senile like it's a bad thing.

it's actually fun:

ya get to meet new people a lot, hide your'e own Easter eggs, have a new job everyday, food is a mystery as to what some things taste like and the beauty of getting to sleep with a new woman every night.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
Any raccoons in your area. Had one in a horse barn and keep losing tack, brushes, hoof picks [S Thought i was losing it but i was only 45 :D
Glad you figured it out, let us know what animal it is, or if it's a little green guy:eek:

I don't think it's an age thing Smallfoot, I was looking for something the other day for half an hour before I gave up. Five days later I realized it was in the first spot I looked, I just didn't see it.

At least some critter isn't hoarding my tools, that would drive me crazy too!

I think I tagged the culprit yesterday afternoon. If not, I'll still be ready for a few days. A squirrel made the mistake of showing himself inside the barn. I chased him out and made him too heavy to float....
He did have enough stuff shoved in that space to start a rod project. I think his timing was off on his start. Looks like he was working backwards to me. Fuel line, filters, lights[S....can't get to my wiring as I have it stored in a metal box he can't get into. I saw no sign of any thing out of place this morning either.
I had started a project to insulate the storage room a while back, he tore that up pretty good and led me to thinking i really didn't need it anyway. Gives me a reason to tear down what's left of the pink fiberglass mat...never liked that stuff anyway.
I searched the room looking for ways he could have gotten in. With the doors closed, the only route would be up and over the walls that do not go all the way up on the inner wall facing the rest of the barn. I just can't imagine how something the size of a squirrel could carry something the size of a large pair of snips, or a dipstick, or some of the larger wrenches, up and over a 9' wall to get there....even the windows , which aren't screened, do have expanded metal across the entire window.

thats some funny stuff... glad your not loosing your marbles...

[cl

I'm glad you straightened that all out Smallfoot, because I was sweating through the first part of your story. A few years ago my heart medication made me stupid, forgetful and lazy, all of a sudden. I did not loose many wrenches because I couldn't fix anything. It was not a pretty time. I had to quit trucking right then, and the only decision I made that year is to sell my newest truck and the trailers. My youngest daughter came home from university just in time to put the crop in, mostly, actually I don't remember much about it. About early winter that year, my wife raised so much fuss that my family doctor arranged to get me off of those pills and I healed up pretty good. My memory is not as good as it was but that could be from getting my pension cheque.
Good luck with your pills, Sf.

Thanks guys! The meds are a problem I didn't expect to encounter and am on a mission to get some of them dumped...they really slow any progress around here.

Latest posts

Back