old skool tech help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

all right all you old timers, I'm looking for directions on how to make a dual exhaust for my stovebolt from the stock manifold. I know it can be done because my uncle did it on his '65 BelAir. I would ask him, but he passed on 10 years ago. My father did the welding, but he cant remember how they did it. I have access to the car, but i dont want to pull it apart to examine it. Im sure i am going to need 2 manifolds to make 1, thats no problem.

I've tried the Stovebolt forum, no luck yet.

SPLIT MAN

I did one 40 years a go and yes u will need 2 manifolds and a band saw to cut them up i did mine in high school shop class you cut them up and make caps for ends we brassed them back togather back then i know you are going to ask whear to cut when you have the manifold in hand its not to hard to figer out now you can by one the last time i saw one they wernt to much and they do make a header for it to and dull carb manifolds good luck

Yes, you will need a donor manifold for the exhaust flange. Saw a hole in the front or rear of the stock manifold (your choice, depending on clearance and exhaust routing issues). A plate will be need to be welded inside the heat riser to split the chambers on the same side as the hole you cut. This "splits" the chambers and routes your exhaust out the corresponding outlet. Some people drill a hole in the plate to equalize pressure, but if you leave it closed you will get more "rap" from the pipes - which is the whole reason for splitting it in the first place IMO. The manifolds are cast iron, so be sure you are experience with welding it before you attempt this, or have someone who has done it before weld it for you. Welding cast is a whole story in itself, but hopefully this will put you on the right track...

Split!

Hillbilly,
My Dad had his '52 Buick straight 8 done in California. It was 5 on one & 3 on the other. I sounded really kool & people were always commenting on it. Didn't pay that much attention back then to it but now wish I had. Good luck & be sure to post pictures.

BoB

Latest posts

Back