opinions on more 32 fords on the road than were built by henry

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebops; good or bad for the hobby

• yes

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • not sure

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
opinions on reboped bodies & parts

l like the era we live in where we have so many choices of cars. 1932 fords seem to be every where. more now on the road than was produced.

it neat, now the 33-34 fords are reboped, shelby cobra's, a 64-65 mustang 57 chevy's, 66 chevelles, cuda's and several others.

so, if it's a steel is it considered real or fake if it after market tin?

l have heard all the ''steel its real stuff''and how 'glass ones ain't a real car.

this is not to bash 'glass or steel rods. l like and have had both.

it's an opinion thread on where ya think all these rebops are taking the hobby.

since the originals are drying up and people are crushing cars & trucks & other types of vehicles and parts that could saved. some times the rebop bodies or rebop parts are the only chioce to get what ya want or need.

Later:confused:

Last edited:
Look, I'm a fairly unconventional guy. Do you want to know why I'm building a ratrod? Because I want a really fast ride, but don't want to pay for a paint job. That's about the honest truth of it. (There IS a reason I mentioned this.) So then, as a somewhat "unpure" rod enthusiest, how do I view the rebop parts market? Two part answer:

1. I think it's great. I mean, this is simple economics on a couple levels. The more fiberglass stuff is popular, the cheaper steel should be for the purists. Win. The easier it is to build a rod, the more people will do it. The more people that do it will lead to new vendors and the eventual lowering of prices due to competition. Win. The more mainstream the hobby, as a whole, is; the easier it is to incoporate into our daily lives. Win.

2. It sure takes a lot of skill out building a hotrod... Anyone can do it with a large enough credit card limit. Lose. New parts are shiny. Shiny parts require cleaning. Lose. You lose "the hunt" when you can just order parts. No more swap meets or pokin around a fellow rodders garage looking for that one missing piece. IMO, this "hunt" is one of the best parts of building. Think of all the stories, laughs, and good times you would have missed if you never had to meet someone to get a piece for your rat. THAT, my friends, is the biggest loss of all...

Just like rat rods, I have no problem with what anyone wants to do with their hard earned money. Never really been a fan of fake Cobras but if that's what some guy wants, more power to him but you would never ever see one in my garage.

Toad

Not a fan of glass but if that is what some one wants i don't put them down i like the ole heavy metal.

I like all the cars what I don't like is at the car shows they're all bunched together in the same category [P
While one person scours the country side and junk yards gathering parts then shows their extraordinary talent by creating a masterpiece [cl
Just to have someone else buy all the parts new, put it together and be in competition with that person is extremely unfair :(
The shows need to have separate categories for these cars
glass
aftermarket
originally built
and our beloved old Rats [dr
I voted yes, it is good for the hobby, it allows more people to participate but, with the changes mentioned :D

Jim

Jim

I could really careless about some guy who bought a glass 32 body and made it look like every other 32 out there...SBC, Chrome that hurts my eyes and a bright yellow or red paint job. Look I've been to thousands of car shows, swap meets, drag events and so on. When I roll into these events I walk right past "Row 32". I'm looking for the rods built by a guy like me...innovative, budget wise and personal touches. As far as how it effects the hobby...I think it drives the prices up and steers the market in the direction of catering to guys that have big bank rolls and/or willing to pay top dollar. You can see it SEMA and other vendor shows...everything is billet and expensive. I also believe it takes away from swap meets as well...and kills a little of the history behind hot rodding. Where I come from the old guys (no pun intended[ddev) taught the young guys how to do things...where is that when an old guy pulls out a CC and buys a frame, body and drive line and everything show up on a pallet?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. :rolleyes:

-Troy

I have built just about every genre of vehicles.
BUT a Rat Rod is pure car art......
yes it takes a lot of money to build a painted traditional hot rod.
Chrome this...billet that.......rebopped body......
They are missing what is a traditional hot rod.......a rat rod
built with a basic plan that is sometimes chalked on the floor.
backyard "mechanics", no paint, (who has money for sandpaper??)
The 1954 Y-block engine in my rat rod was rebuilt in 1962, it STILL has those rock hard bearings in it today.
Building a rat rod takes a lot more ingenuity then just looking in a parts book
for a dropped chrome front axle for you highboy.......credit card number please..

answer: rebopped cars are counterfeit
They should be titled as NEW cars and thus have to pass all the safety and emmissions standards as a car bought from a new car dealer. [ddd

the sheer number of 32's is why i dont want one.
in the rod world they are so common they are boring.
gimmie a vauxhall panel or something interesting.

i am not a glass fan either.
but it'ssomeone elses dime.

My '32 was glass, but I always admired genuine steel '32's. However, I couldn't afford an original, not even the repop steel ones.

I have to agree about the amount of '32's out there. At the GNRS, I go straight to the suede palace and at the L.A. Roadster Show, I like the specialty parking.

A repop of any sort is a fake in my opinion. I don't like clones either. How many AAR Cudas are there now? Glass Willys? If I see another knockoff Cobra I'm gonna puke.

I like 32's alot, but a string of LS-engined, ostrich-skinned catalog cars ruins it for me. I think it disrespects the original.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they made a few thousand bodies and hid them in the woods all over the countryside. Toss in some 392's and a truckload of 6-71's, too.

A repop of any sort is a fake in my opinion. I don't like clones either. How many AAR Cudas are there now? Glass Willys? If I see another knockoff Cobra I'm gonna puke.

I like 32's alot, but a string of LS-engined, ostrich-skinned catalog cars ruins it for me. I think it disrespects the original.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if they made a few thousand bodies and hid them in the woods all over the countryside. Toss in some 392's and a truckload of 6-71's, too.

Now there's a solution for ya!!! ha ha ha[cl[cl

Dr. you are the man!!

BTW You want to know what I really bothers me about the rodding sport??
People passing judgment on other's idea of what it's about!!! No one can
tell me what I should or shouldn't like, or build!! Thats my decission and mine alone!!

You want to know what I really bothers me about the rodding sport??
People passing judgment on other's idea of what it's about!!! No one can
tell me what I should or shouldn't like, or build!! Thats my decission and mine alone!!

i changed my sig in your honor.:)

If it wasn't for the Brookville and other repro bodies, both steel and glass, this hobby wouldn't be where it is today. There are only so many old original bodies and cars to be had and having other choices kept the cost down and let people who otherwise couldn't participate have a chance.

We car lovers tend to be pretty myopic when it comes to what other people want to own and build. All of us tend to get into tightknit little groups and point fingers at cars that we feel are "not right." (and I include myself in that grouping too) But it is a battle that has been going on since the first horseless buggy hit the streets, so I don't see it ending anytime soon.

Don

I much prefer old stuff, homebuilt, unique engines...but hey, if everyone did it the way we think is cool, we'd have no one to point fingers at and talk bad about!

Bring on the yellow '32s with rubber band tires and Recaro seats. They just make the rat rods look that much better in comparison.

It's whatcha do with whatcha got.
p45kclu20090914112903.jpg

I personally think it is great. Origanal bodies will always be a premium but if you can get one why not chop up a repop body. At least you are not fixing years of other peoples messes on top of chopping to your liking. I still think a glass 32 or 33 would make a great daily driver up here in NH

I like seeing restored stockers as well as rods. I hate when I read about a guy with lottsa money that starts with an nice original car to build a rod. The availability of nice repro bodys and frames should prevent some of this.

Blue

I like all the cars what I don't like is at the car shows they're all bunched together in the same category [P
While one person scours the country side and junk yards gathering parts then shows their extraordinary talent by creating a masterpiece [cl
Just to have someone else buy all the parts new, put it together and be in competition with that person is extremely unfair :(
The shows need to have separate categories for these cars
glass
aftermarket
originally built
and our beloved old Rats [dr
I voted yes, it is good for the hobby, it allows more people to participate but, with the changes mentioned :D

Jim

Jim

I'm with jim on this all the way, My last car show I went in under street rods, I knew I had no chance to place I was just happy to have a car in the show and be in a class other then work in progress. My competition was a cobra kit car, Don't get me wrong I like all cars but when you are being judged next to a car that some guy paid some one eles to build just to win trophys it kind of takes the fun out of it. I think a well priced repop would give more would be's a chance to enjoy our hobby. God knows if it was not for picking up a couple cheep 50's trucks I would not be leaving my 2 cents here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back