Pontiac Parisienne 67 Brake System Repair/Service

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet

Hi all,
I have search'd around for info and such on my Ponti brake system and haven't found alot so I decided to document a bit of what im doing on here so it may help others.

So to start off I have taken off my Master Cylinder and Brake Booster...
I took them to a local brake repairer to see what he would say is best way to go about things.

He stated that repairing tha old one would be 100% better than purchasing a new one...
(estimates)
$220 to re-selve master cylinder
$350 to do repairs to booster (seems fluid has enter'd it)
$200 Metal Finish (chrome plating)

Now....
I can purchase a metal finished (chromed) master cylinder - brake booster combo from tha net for round $200-$300
But...
In buying a new one I may have tha headache of bolt holes not lining up, wrong bore size and tha geneal worry of it not working as well as and original one built for tha car.

So at present I am debating these two options...

Pay round 3 times as much for peace of mind or take tha cheap gamble.

Brakes are pretty dam important hahaha so im leaning towards paying tha repairs rather than buying new... still thinking.

Have you asked another shop to price it? A second opinion would be good, seems a tad high to me! Also depends on what kind of build your going after.

Beercan

I agree the price sounds high to me. He probably knows that alot of the "new" ones are rebuilt in China or somewhere else with little quality control. I would try and see if you can at least purchase a good booster somewhere else, and price it elsewhere. I have never had brakes done by anyone but myself and had to get 2 master cylinders to get a good one from the parts store.

He probably knows that alot of the "new" ones are rebuilt in China or somewhere else with little quality control.

I'm friends with the guys at the parts stores since I'm a regular & ask them if they know where any rebuilt part is made. I also will not use *any* brake system part that is made in China!!!

BoB

Jeg's has a large offering of what you want....

Hi all,
I have search'd around for info and such on my Ponti brake system and haven't found alot so I decided to document a bit of what im doing on here so it may help others.

So to start off I have taken off my Master Cylinder and Brake Booster...
I took them to a local brake repairer to see what he would say is best way to go about things.

He stated that repairing tha old one would be 100% better than purchasing a new one...
(estimates)
$220 to re-selve master cylinder
$350 to do repairs to booster (seems fluid has enter'd it)
$200 Metal Finish (chrome plating)

Now....
I can purchase a metal finished (chromed) master cylinder - brake booster combo from tha net for round $200-$300

But...
In buying a new one I may have tha headache of bolt holes not lining up, wrong bore size and tha geneal worry of it not working as well as and original one built for tha car.

So at present I am debating these two options...

Pay round 3 times as much for peace of mind or take tha cheap gamble.

Not sure if they ship overseas but wouldn't hurt to check it out....
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performa...ylinders-Power-Brake-Boosters/948836/10002/-1
I've bought a number of items from Jegs as well as Summit no worries about quality.... just not sure about their shipping overseas policy....

Tha products at Jegs looks great, found tha one I need but....
Cost of item combo is $375
Cost of shipping is $520 (dammmmm)
So I have sent a request for pricing of non-same day shipping

Brake Master is not in my country ;)

I wonder if one of us stateside guys could ship it to your place ground? I would be willing to do it for you, PM me if you want me to. It would probably be cheaper and I would do it just to help you out if you need me to.

Latest posts

Back