radiator in the rear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSCStreetRods

Has anyone had any exp with rear mounted radiators? I am thinking of doing just that and wonder if there is anything that needs to be done for just that. It will be a 460 ford stroked out to a 521. 400-500 hp

Funny this should come up now. I was just talking to a friend today about rear mounted radiators. Lots of header wrap along the pipes under or through the cab was my friends solution to the heat issue. That may, or may not be the best answer but it sounds like a possible solution. I've seen turbo-chargers run from front to back like that through the cab and into the bed.

T1

That is how I am going to mount the radiator in my '39 Dodge truck, in the bed. I have gotten an aluminum radiator so far, and have it ready to install as soon as the bed is mounted. From the research I did it seems the stock water pump will be strong enough to carry the water that far and back with no problems. I am running an electric fan and my bed cover is louvered to let heat out. I might have to build some tin ducting under the radiator to feed air when going down the road, but am going to wait and see if it works without it first of all.

Don

saw a slick "a" sedan in a mag a while back that had a rear mounted radiator and the car's frame was the actual "hoses"? to carry the antifreezeback to the rad!
the front of it had nipples (can i say that?) welded in, to clamp a hose to -one rail was the input one was return....
really slick but need to be a good welder to get water tight framerails though...:eek:

I seen one mounted laying flat in the bed with an air scoop underneath and a puller fan. As long as your bleeder or filler cap is the highest point in the system you should be okay.

saw a slick "a" sedan in a mag a while back that had a rear mounted radiator and the car's frame was the actual "hoses"? to carry the antifreezeback to the rad!
the front of it had nipples (can i say that?) welded in, to clamp a hose to -one rail was the input one was return....
really slick but need to be a good welder to get water tight framerails though...:eek:

I saw a hemi rod in vegas a few years back with no radiator, carried water in the frame rails, said it worked like a heat sink and ran cool :eek:

That is how I am going to mount the radiator in my '39 Dodge truck, in the bed. I have gotten an aluminum radiator so far, and have it ready to install as soon as the bed is mounted. From the research I did it seems the stock water pump will be strong enough to carry the water that far and back with no problems. I am running an electric fan and my bed cover is louvered to let heat out. I might have to build some tin ducting under the radiator to feed air when going down the road, but am going to wait and see if it works without it first of all.

Don

Hey Don if I can sell my present ride ,this idea will be in my next one . Did you do it yet ?

No, I sold the Dodge because I wanted to concentrate on the 29 rpu instead, but I am going to use the same setup on it. I just got sidetracked for a while getting my 27 rebuilt, then I can get back on it.

I plan for the rpu to have a drag altered look with an empty model a grille shell and the radiator in the rear. Going to put a pusher fan under the radiator and maybe a scoop to direct air when going down the road. The louvers in the tonneau cover plus the ones I plan to punch in the tailgate should allow enough air to flow.

I spoke to a guy at Billetproof who had a rear mounted radiator in his rat rod and he said it worked great. However, he didn't build in a bleeder and to get the air out he lifted the back of the rod up in the air with a front end loader and burped the system. :D I don't have a front end loader, so I'll probably put a bleeder at the highest spot in the system.:)

Don

003.jpg

dansframeback2ndtime011.jpg

RPUTonneauLouvers1004.jpg

Latest posts

Back