" rat rod" frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pushrod249

got the new speedway cat. yesterday. on the back cover is the model a rat rod frame. really nice frame. well thought out. like the rear axle over the rails............but $3299.99? i have over a grand less in an almost complete (70%) car. anyone have pic's or thoughts on this type of set up? here are a few pic's of my project.

Gold chainers will think it's ok. This way they can buy an over priced rat rod and get down and dirty with us peasants.[ddd

trouble with pic's

i really need to take more pic's

Attachments

• sparkly jd & progress july09 046.jpg
    sparkly jd & progress july09 046.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 65
  • sparkly jd & progress july09 063.jpg
    sparkly jd & progress july09 063.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 59
  • sparkly jd & progress july09 042.jpg
    sparkly jd & progress july09 042.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 89
Not everybody has the ability or facilities to fabricate or heavily modify their own chassis, such as the swept front rails on the example you presented. To some folks, this chassis, or a similar package may a viable option for an owner who wants a low car. Although I do my own chassis work, I'm glad there are alternitives for people who don't. Kudos to you pushrod for keeping a low budget.

know were your comin from.

Not everybody has the ability or facilities to fabricate or heavily modify their own chassis, such as the swept front rails on the example you presented. To some folks, this chassis, or a similar package may a viable option for an owner who wants a low car. Although I do my own chassis work, I'm glad there are alternitives for people who don't. Kudos to you pushrod for keeping a low budget.

i personally love this frame. just thought it was funny that out of the endless possibilities the two words chosen to describe this one particular $3300 part were the words rat and rod. not a jab at people who can afford to order parts or have someone else assemble them. if i had the cash id call speedway and have a roller by the weeks end..................but thats not rat roddin is it.

Gastrick pegged it! Not everyone has the ability or availability to do this type of work. This lets others have the opportunity..[cl..If Speedway has one, how long will it be before others have them too?...Doesn't look like it's just a fad!!!.CR

I just went and looked again at the new speedway book , it's nice . I think everyone has summed it up well , if you have the cash and not the ability it's a good option .

I'm in this boat myself. :( I envy you guys - such talent here.

One must be flexible with the term "rat rod". Especially in advertising. It can be anything from rust on rust held together by bubble gum all the way up to a build by Foose.

Me? I like the simplistic no frills look of a flat black chopped and slammed rod. I'm not a metal flake and everything chromed guy. I still call it a rat, but a rat with more safety and comfort in mind without losing the insane power and aggressive look.

Like most everything else, the more companies that offer such, the price will probably come down some. I can weld some, [;) but when it comes to something like the frame, I would want somebody that at least knows what there doing to weld up mine or purchase one. (when the prices come down ! )
The last frame up build I done,,( 49 Pickup) I worried about everything when I would go down the road,, hope that weld is good enough, did I tighten that bolt, or hope that wire don't cause a fire !!! Ect. BUT,, on the same hand I would swap titles for something I did'nt know much about in a parking lot and run 80 mph down the road not thinking twice about it !!! Go figure! [S

Looks like a pretty nice frame. I like the idea of the underslung setup in the rear, probably the way I'd do one if I built my own rather than the usual large Z. Not sure how much I have in my A frame between the time welding boxing it in, and mounts/etc. Probably 3600 is cheap if you add up all the stuff.

Is it wrong of me to take offense to the description of the Speedway "Rat Rod" frame. In it they say "No cobbled-up, scary stuff here". I was about to pull the trigger on a 2k order for my flathead and "Rat Rod", but now I'm having second thoughts.

Sid

Is it wrong of me to take offense to the description of the Speedway "Rat Rod" frame. In it they say "No cobbled-up, scary stuff here". I was about to pull the trigger on a 2k order for my flathead and "Rat Rod", but now I'm having second thoughts.

Sid

Its called marketing. Get on the train while its still on the track. And yes wev've all seen "scary stuff " out there.

rat rod frame

heck lets all change the name tonight and dont tell speedway, rust rods, scary rods, dont think i would drive that rods, ect. ect. I like the frame clipper has built on the thread up from this one, bet he could build one for a few $ less than what there selling, speedway is a good company to deal with, never had any problems with orders or returns, and like it was said before its advertising for them, just making money however they can, just like everyone else.

A fab shop could potentially do it cheaper but would the fab shop put in the engineering that probably went into that frame to ensure it is safe?

You have to ask what your time is worth. At $100 per hour what is the real cost of our garage fabricated frames? If the person doesn't have a welder and has to purchase one to make his/her frame (yes this is a useful tool that will be used elsewhere) but for the average joe is it worth it, particularly the guy who can't weld.

I love that they are marketing this frame. It is clear evidence that people are taking notice and the trend is growing.

Over the years I have built several ground up hotrods,streetrods,(there is a difference),dragcars,and dirtcars. I still have tig,mig,lathe,milling machine,tubing benders,sheetmetal equipment. What I don't have is the disire to work in the shop untill midnight every night! If somebody has something on the market at a good price it looks good to me.The older I get the more lazy I am !

Latest posts

Back