Rats with backseats

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyce51

Need some ideas. I wanna build a rat rod and I have a family of 5 so ai need something with a backseat!! Let's see some pics!!!!

I did find this measured drawing of a 29 Phaeton that is really growing on me.....
28-29-phaeton.jpg

Phaeton bodies are super cool! Good luck finding one though, as they're very rare and hard to find, especially in decent shape. They can be very expensive as well. You could easily do any late 20's to early 50's two-door or four-door sedan and turn it into a cool rod while making it a family hauler.

I'm building a 27 tudor sedan right now. Plan is to put 4 bomber seats in. Did alot of measuring but I think it will work. Probably won't fit an adult back there, I was thinking more for my kids.

Doing one of these right now, 27 T version. Modern running gear and brakes with old time body and fenders etc. Have to be able to haul my grandkids around. You can hot rod it to any level you desire. With side curtains carried along with you, you can snap them in place and keep everybody dry, who cares if it rains.

Attachments

• 1931FordWoodyModelA-july22.jpg
    1931FordWoodyModelA-july22.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1929_Ford_Model_A_Woody_Station_Wagon-July14a.jpg
    1929_Ford_Model_A_Woody_Station_Wagon-July14a.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1927%20Ford%20Model%20T%20Depot%20Hack%20Wood%20Body%20Green%203_3_2011%20013.jpg
    1927%20Ford%20Model%20T%20Depot%20Hack%20Wood%20Body%20Green%203_3_2011%20013.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 12
  • rmx2064.jpg
    rmx2064.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 15
Lots of options for a family cruiser especialy if you don't discount a fordoor:eek::eek:
Any kind of tub body is going to be more money.
There have been some very cool looking four door sedans built ala rat rod. Many chopped as well.
Here are some pics of a father/daughter project that we did a few years ago.
Went with a 4 door due to budget constraints.
Good luck and have fun.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 19
Doing one of these right now, 27 T version. Modern running gear and brakes with old time body and fenders etc. Have to be able to haul my grandkids around. You can hot rod it to any level you desire. With side curtains carried along with you, you can snap them in place and keep everybody dry, who cares if it rains.

After a lot of research and all ...The Woody's are growing on me!!!! I figure I can build my own cowl section and go from there!! Here is a pic that I have been staring at more and more:
(I know it just a drawing but its cool!!!!!)
model-t-surf-woody-stuart-swartz.jpg

heres another inspiring pic:
15714.jpg

001.jpg

4.IMG_0496.jpg

These pics have really got my mind working in overtime....I know they aren't "Rat Rods" but still very cool!!

Cowls are cheap, if I were doing that I would buy a cowl and start from there. Any of the home-made cowls or bodies I've seen made by guys without advanced metal-shaping tools end up looking pretty home-made.

You should be able to find a model A cowl, hood and grill shell for $200 - $250 that would be cheaper than trying to fab it. and it would look like what you want.

Finding a cowl with a title would be great....finding 1 when I have the extra money would be even better!!!!! I'm thinking in mid spring I am gonna go to Bud's Auto Parts (in Deerfield Oh) and see what he has......and ask him about a title as well....

Latest posts

Back