RookieRod Model A progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think its a C-4, it's got a 3-piece case and would have come on a 302 originally. It was working fine when I pulled it. I think the extra trans that came with the truck is a C-6 - its a little bigger, 2-piece case.

Thanks! I think the back looks silly right now with those little tires, but I think it will look much more proportionate with the tall bias plys on it. So most likely I won't chop it.

If you're still thinking of chopping it man, dont!! Looks sweet as it is!!

Nice job.:):):D

X2 on that. Y

eah, the little tires look a bit silly. Might even have to go up a size in rims? The narrow white walls sometimes make things look off too - trick the eye kind of thing.

Firestone makes a bias ply thats 31" diameter that will fit those 15" rims, so I think that will be plenty big, with 3.5" whitewall. Those rollers on there now are 26" diameter. I'll do some more research though...

On the frame, its a 60 deg angle on the rear kick-up. I mitered each piece 30 degrees.

crossmembers

Well I think I finally got the frame all done (except shock mounts). Got the front, mid and rear crossmembers all in. Those small rails on the side will tuck right under the door sills, supporting the front part of the body. This thing is getting HEAVY!! Prob overkill for my 180hp 302, but maybe I'll upgrade someday....

Attachments

• CIMG3049.jpg
    CIMG3049.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3050.jpg
    CIMG3050.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 76
  • CIMG3051.jpg
    CIMG3051.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 106
  • CIMG3052.jpg
    CIMG3052.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 96
Body mounted & driveshaft in

A bit more progress this week. Got the body all mounted up. I used some control arm bushings for the rubber mounts. I basically cut the steel skin off, popped out the center steel sleeve, then cut the rubber in half which made two 1" tall mounts.

Also got the driveshaft in. Found a place locally that did it in one day - I dropped it off this morning!!

Attachments

• CIMG3054.jpg
    CIMG3054.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 88
  • CIMG3056.jpg
    CIMG3056.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 85
  • CIMG3055.jpg
    CIMG3055.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 80
  • CIMG3057.jpg
    CIMG3057.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 75
  • CIMG3053.jpg
    CIMG3053.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 101
Nice

I have been following your build, very nice work. I also noticed you put some thinking in there for safety, GREAT JOB! Keep up the good work. Hope to see it chopped.

Curt

Thanks! I'm also going to put a driveshaft hoop on the front side in case something fails.

Driveshaft - it was $270 with tax. I brought them my tranny yoke and a driveshaft that bolted to the rear axle. All they re-used was the the trans yoke and the part of the rear u-joint that bolts to the axle. Everything else is new.

Minor updates - got the radiator mounted and 1/2 of the exhaust on. Not fancy but I like.

If anyone is planning on ordering header flanges from JEGS, read the fine print, they are sold individually. Oops! Maybe I'll have the other 1/2 done later this week.

Attachments

• CIMG3072.jpg
    CIMG3072.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 101
  • CIMG3073.jpg
    CIMG3073.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 69
really? they arnt sold in pairs? Thats kinda strange. I guess I would have thought that they were too. The car is coming along nicely though.

Minor updates - got the radiator mounted and 1/2 of the exhaust on. Not fancy but I like.

If anyone is planning on ordering header flanges from JEGS, read the fine print, they are sold individually. Oops! Maybe I'll have the other 1/2 done later this week.

Never did like dealin' with Jegs!

Lookin' good though BI!!

Half A$$

Irish,
That's really funny but the half you did looks really cool. Hopefully you'll get the other half soon! :D

Beercan

Latest posts

Back