RookieRod Model A progress

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. I've heard of people using these on more modern cars and supposedly they work for them. I don't think its strong enough to pull fluild from a low m.c. like in mine though.

Made some good progress on the floor tonight. Still thinking of going with wood on the flat part and steel on the hump.

Attachments

• CIMG3099.jpg
    CIMG3099.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 59
  • CIMG3100.jpg
    CIMG3100.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG3098.jpg
    CIMG3098.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 59
Yeah, probably a lighter colored stain, orange/reddish tint then a couple coats of satin polyurethane. Probably some type of heat reflector on the bottom. Going to make the floor easily removable so I can get to the m.c. and other stuff.

Took a break from the floor and made an air cleaner out of the orig air cleaner housing and a Ford-style "V8" hubcab. Basically cut the center section out of the old air cleaner housing. Welded the wingnut to the top of the lid. Then cut most of the lip off of the hubcap, leaving 3 little tabs which I poked through the lid, then welded up from the bottom. Looks pretty cool I suppose and price was right!

nice ride!!!

shocks

Minor update - got the rear shocks in and welded up the radius rod mounts. Re-used the shocks from the old F150.

Attachments

• CIMG3105.jpg
    CIMG3105.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG3112.jpg
    CIMG3112.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 47
She steers!

Got the steering all done. Mounted my '50 F-1 box and sliced the orig drag link to the new one. Fabbed up two shaft supports on the inside and installed the quick-release steering wheel hub. Works nicely.

So theoretically, she steers, stops and will move in a forward motion. Need a gas tank and gas pedal and I'm ready for a spin.

Attachments

• CIMG3109.jpg
    CIMG3109.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG3113.jpg
    CIMG3113.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 68
  • CIMG3110.jpg
    CIMG3110.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG3108.jpg
    CIMG3108.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 77
  • CIMG3107.jpg
    CIMG3107.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 75
Enjoy watching your build.... When the time comes, I plan on doing mine very similiar to yours.... But are your headers going to clear the steering box.... that number 8 cylinder seems like it lines right up on it....

Last edited:
Oh ye of little faith!

Kidding - it does look a little tight from those pics, but I have quite a bit of clearance actually....

Attachments

• CIMG3114.jpg
    CIMG3114.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 37
  • CIMG3116.jpg
    CIMG3116.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 42
Got the steering all done. Mounted my '50 F-1 box and sliced the orig drag link to the new one. Fabbed up two shaft supports on the inside and installed the quick-release steering wheel hub. Works nicely.

So theoretically, she steers, stops and will move in a forward motion. Need a gas tank and gas pedal and I'm ready for a spin.

Broski - nice work when should I arrange the trip for the maiden voyage?

Well unless you just want to ride once around the block sitting on some boards, it'll be a month or so yet.

Need to do: Wiring, lights, gas pedal, gas tank & lines, shifter, elec fan hookup, mount seats, floorboards, replace rusted roof panels and most importantly....some new wide whites!!

Oh yeah and I guess some license plates would be good.

Given my highly active social schedule you must give me some notice sir.. im a pretty big deal. (read airfare is cheaper)

Shifter

Behold, the finest shifter $50 can buy! It's actually not that bad, works good and doesn't look terrible. Got it at Pep Boys, comes with all sorts of adapters to hook up to any auto trans.

Attachments

• CIMG3119.jpg
    CIMG3119.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG3120.jpg
    CIMG3120.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 73
  • CIMG3118.jpg
    CIMG3118.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 94
She moves!

Got the last of the loose ends tied up so it was ready for a test drive! Did great, although I was only going like 25 mph. Finally got to see what it looks like outside! Videos to come....

Attachments

• CIMG3122.jpg
    CIMG3122.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG3123.jpg
    CIMG3123.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 107
  • CIMG3125.jpg
    CIMG3125.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 86
Yeah it was alot of fun, even though I was sitting on some plywood. Picked up Tripper who took his video camera along for the ride. Maybe we'll see some of that video later on...:D

Latest posts

Back