Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unlike the guy that said in the south you cant pilfer at the dump. in our local dump here in the country we can , there is a area to throw out stuff that others might want. i have come home with all kinds of stuff, my wife used to make fun of me. now she recently said we need to go to the dump and get a dresser. when her dad was coming to live in my old trailer. we went and found a good wood one. striped it and stained it. looks better then the new press board stuff. water heaters are real good for their skins, along with 55 gal metal drums. ive got a lot of those at work im getting ready to start bringing home.

Right on most everything should be recycled for others to use USA and idiot Dump managers waste a lot of USA resources that is usable.

More changes I was looking for my scrap Delrin to make the bushings for the top of the shocks. Guess what? , I don't have any so I decided to use what I have on hand. And that happened to be a 6 foot piece of round aluminium X7/8 inch diameter. So that's what the bushing is going to be made out of. I will use some never seize on the shock bolt and the aluminium. I went to get some bolts and found out the store did not have the sizes I wanted. So I will go again tomorrow at another store to get em. Meanwhile I made one shock eye and completed the bushing the top is ready to use. I had to press fit the bushing to the eye after machining it to .002 oversize>>nice fit. Hopefully tomorrow I can button up this shock episode, so I can move on. I will have to make small openings behind our seating to get at the tops of the shocks and to the spring adjusters. I'll worry about that when I get there. I should be close to fitting sheet metal on the quarter panels behind the rear wheels etc. I'm sort of eager to see what my rear fenders are going to reveal for appeal. I have a few photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4863.jpg
    HPIM4863.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM4864.jpg
    HPIM4864.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM4865.jpg
    HPIM4865.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4866.jpg
    HPIM4866.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 25
  • HPIM4867.jpg
    HPIM4867.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM4868.jpg
    HPIM4868.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 26
A little bit more done today. I finally got the right bolts for the shock mounts. And I welded the nuts on the mount. Then I welded the mount to the spring perch and ran a test fit. I now have to orient the bottom shock mounts so I have no bind during compression and bounce. I located the proper place on the right side and clamped them in place. I will weld them tomorrow. I added a photo of the trunk lid frame where I cut the cross bars out to relax the tension on the frame. I welded back the bottom cross brace and it went okay it put no stress on the frame. The left side mount is completed also and welded in place. I have to do the bottom shock mount on the left side. maybe tomorrow. This shock mount deal when done will allow me to go ahead on the quarter panel sheet metal. I will order a 4X8 sheet of 18 Gauge tomorrow so I can get started on my rear fender adventure. Photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4876.jpg
    HPIM4876.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM4871.jpg
    HPIM4871.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM4872.jpg
    HPIM4872.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 22
Photos the mount is at about a 20 degree angle same as spring perches..

Attachments

• HPIM4873.jpg
    HPIM4873.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
  • HPIM4874.jpg
    HPIM4874.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 26
  • HPIM4875.jpg
    HPIM4875.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 20
Another update My wife just informed me I have reached the $1,312.06 invested in this Coupe so far. Hmm $1000.00 more than I wanted to spend.

ive been watching your build from the begining, looks good so far. 1 suggestion for you is to KEEP ALL PAPER WORK FROM YOUR WIFE. lol

tredge on feller.

I hate when my wife reminds me how much I spent..

Another update My wife just informed me I have reached the $1,312.06 invested in this Coupe so far. Hmm $1000.00 more than I wanted to spend.

But I think that you're still well below the average build price for much of anything these days.....lol [cl

rsfyj,
Cool project! I like the wiring diagram left on the metal in third photo on post #209. I might have put that on the outside just to mess with people! lol Looking good! keep after it.
Jon

Real slow day, after running many errands and other things I had just a few hours to do some work in the shop. I finished the lower mounts for the rear shocks. So I am good to go now I have all the correct grade #8 bolts and nuts. I'll get some new shocks before i close that area up. The nice part about my shock eye modifications is I can use rear shocks for a Pinto or Mustang11 and some others as I have the adaptors made for the threaded shaft shocks. Pinto rear shocks have eyes on both ends. I found a place to get real reasonable 4X8 sheet metal, it was so reasonable I ordered 2 sheets. 18 gauge stuff. This will put me in the window of being able to finish all the exterior metal up to the cowl I think I have enough for the quarter panels, both doors, trunk lid, and finish the roof. Bad part is the stuff won't be here until late Thursday afternoon. So I guess i will busy myself with other stuff that needs attention. Funny how things change and nothing is set in stone. I said I wouldn’t pay $100.00 a sheet for metal and here comes $60 dollar a sheet deal I couldn't pass this up. The cold Wx has slowed my Dump metal. This will let me to do some sanding grinding and filling low spots on this metal etc. And look more like a Coupe in the rear. I have a few uninteresting shock mount photos

Attachments

• HPIM4877.jpg
    HPIM4877.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 23
  • HPIM4878.jpg
    HPIM4878.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Nothing got done today another day of personal business etc., maybe tomorrow I can sneak in a few hours?

Nothing done today, but my sheet ,metal came. However I am one sheet shy it seems people at the other end can not count properly, or they were hanging at the Coffee machine while my order was floating around them. It seems everything you buy now is screwed up or wrong I don't understand why employers hire jerk off's like we have now. No wonder USA is in decline look at what we have. Enough said Ill get to work tomorrow as I am pretty sure I will be at home.

Gotta give them a little slack....heck...

even I make mistakes!!....yep, it's true....I make mistakes....but I always tell my kids...."I may not be right, but I'm never wrong"....:D Stuff like that is frustrating....you would think that the company has a checks and balance system....like checking the order before they ship??

You are right I worked at many places and always had checks and balances to get things right. plus 12 years in the US Army where you paid for your mistakes. This is bad for USA we will become not Retail genius’s, but Junk pedallers 1st class. If we don't pay attention to detail and pride

Latest posts

Back