Setting Caster Help...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I have read donsrods thread and several others about setting caster but I seem to be having trouble setting the caster on my front end. We first set it at -3* before we took it off the jack stands. Once we set the front end on the ground it jumped to a +5 (the axle was pushed forward). We kept it on the ground and when we pulled the rod ends up to get it back to around -4 it screwed our idea up of mounting them to a bracket welded to the bottom of the frame. Now we may have to mount them through the frame. We then adjusted the bottom clevises to shorten them a bit to pull the rod ends down some ( almost enough to mount them just below the frame).

My main question is if I set the caster at -2 to -3 will it drop to around -5 when we put the motor/tranny in or will it push the axle forward.

Does any of this make sense?

Bad rendering of how I think this works.
caster.jpg

caster

When i did my front set up we put a mock motor and trans just to get close to weight, and set it about -4, when you add weight later it should make more negative caster assumeing that your hairpins are not already parallel to your frame. at least thats the way i understand it.

The drwing on the top is posative caster, and on the bottom, negative. you will want up to about 7 degrees posative caster with a straight axel to keep it between the ditches...

Latest posts

Back