Slow lane for passing?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

I cruise the freeways quite a lot and there's something that always amazes me! You cruise along in the fast lane until some moron is put-putting along holding up a whole line of cars. Seems like the only way to get past pokey is move over to the slow lane that's totally empty, pass the moron and get on down the road. I just wish people would just obey the law.... slower traffic stay right! :eek:

Toad

I hate people who pass on the right, drives me nuts.

If the speed limit is 70 and I am doing 75 and get into the "fast" lane to pass someone and find that I need to stay out there to pass the next guy and some expletive comes up behind me and then decides to go around on the right....

Screw him, I will speed up to cut him off and then slow down and pace the slowest car I can find.

Now if there is some guy in the PASSING lane putting along without the goal of passing someone in the right lane (travel lane) then yes he is a jerk and you may have to pass on the right.

And while I am at it, when a car etc. is sitting on the side of the road I move over into the left lane. I even hate that sucker worse who then passes on the right.

When you see a car etc. sitting on the side of the road get in the left lane and stay there until you are past. Sometimes that dumb car on the side might just pull out, or a person walk out, or open the door, and that is the end of both of you.

Patience can save a life!

Okay I am done.

Sorry I guess I wasn't done yet

The left lane is for passing not cruising, so what you doing over there cruising along?????

Whoops, still not done.

Yes OBEY THE LAW.

The law states; passing on the right is prohibited. Also states, left lane for passing only.

Now I think I am done....for now

In California, they enacted a "Road Rage Law" which means if you come upon slower traffic and do something like honk your horn or flash your lights, they must pull to the right. Also passing on the right is illegal unless, passing an obstruction.

Since I retired, I get a lot less road rage. I'm never in a hurry and enjoy the ride a lot more. Now my wife's driving is another story..........

This and people that wont turn on their head lights are my biggest pet peeve.
People that go to pass and take five miles to do it and hold up traffic are irratating too, If your not in anymore of a hurry then stay where you are expecially if faster cars are comming.Speed limit is errelevent, if someone is behind you and your in the left lane, your in the wrong lane!!!

Some States must have different laws about staying right and passing on the left. We get lots of out of State drivers down here and whenever you see an Indiana or Ohio tag the guy will be cruising along in the fast lane and won't get over for anyone. :mad: I used to pass them on the right and then cut back in a little close to give them a hint, but I've sort of mellowed these days and don't get all that flustered about it.

I was always taught to stay right, pass left, and then get right back over to the right when you were clear. I guess not everyone was taught that. My ex-wife used to drive me nuts because she would cruise along in the left lane and not move over. We had more than one argument about that one.

Another pet peeve is people who don't turn on their lights when almost dark or dark. It's amazing how many cars you see with no lights and it is pitch black. Don't they notice that their dash lights are out?

Don

There will always be ignorant, inconsiderate drivers. I try not to let them rob my peace. One of the things I notice is the cars coming onto the freeway, you politely move to the left for them and then they get up to your speed right beside you and just hang you out there. I usually don't move over for them anymore.

For those of you able, become a reserve at your local P.D.. It's so therapeutic writing tickets. I use to have a very bad temper until I became a police officer. It actually calmed me right down. It even helped my wife. She said when she saw someone doing something stupid, she knew I was out there writing someone like that a ticket.

I'm still looking for a heat seeking missile for my car! There's only one way to fix stupid!!! [ddd:eek:

BoB

Gassersgarage, I bet all of us have said at one time or another when we see someone pull some dumb driving trick "Boy, I wish I was a cop right now !"

I'd be the best money maker the police dept ever saw. :D

Don

When and if my old pickup finally dies, i'm considering a 10 wheeler. Then i'll simply drive over top of the ones that pi** me off!!!!:eek:

Gassersgarage, I bet all of us have said at one time or another when we see someone pull some dumb driving trick "Boy, I wish I was a cop right now !"

I'd be the best money maker the police dept ever saw. :D

Don
Funny, one day my Lieutenant came to briefing to talk of all the complaints that he had received from the public. They he told everyone how I stopped more people than anyone else but in 10 years, never generated a complaint.

One day, I stopped an attorney for speeding. She was doing 53 in a 40. I only stopped her to warn her as I allow 15 over before I cite. She said she was doing 43 as she pointed to her speedo which was now on zero. (I always wondered why people do that?) I asked her to get out of her car. When she got out, I pointed to van which was traveling down the street and asked how fast it was going? She said 35 so I pointed my radar at the van and it read 34. I showed her the radar reading and said, "Lady, you did one of two things. You proved my radar was working correctly and you were doing 53! Why did you tell me 43?". She said, "I was guessing". I told her, " A guess was as good as a lie. What makes you think I like being lied to, do you?".

She said, "I never put myself in your position, it does sound like a lie!". So I said, "If you were me, what would you do?". She said she'd write herself a ticket, so I did. Well, she wrote a letter to my Captain and got me a commendation. She said I was the only policer officer that proved her wrong and I was a credit to the Department.

This makes me think of the thread, "Are people good or bad?".

Some States must have different laws about staying right and passing on the left. We get lots of out of State drivers down here and whenever you see an Indiana or Ohio tag the guy will be cruising along in the fast lane and won't get over for anyone. :mad: I used to pass them on the right and then cut back in a little close to give them a hint, but I've sort of mellowed these days and don't get all that flustered about it.

I was always taught to stay right, pass left, and then get right back over to the right when you were clear. I guess not everyone was taught that. My ex-wife used to drive me nuts because she would cruise along in the left lane and not move over. We had more than one argument about that one.

Another pet peeve is people who don't turn on their lights when almost dark or dark. It's amazing how many cars you see with no lights and it is pitch black. Don't they notice that their dash lights are out?

Don

thats ohio for you, all the time in ohio people drive in the fast lane even delivery trucks and semis do it all the time its bad up here. Its so funny as soon as you get out of the state you notice the driving changes.

Don

You 'bout said it all! I agree!
I was headed west on I-70 in Kansas a few weeks back going from the KKOA show in Salina, KS. on Sunday , home to Co.,about mid day and I came on a group of old folks cruzing home from Church in their Sunday best in the left lane was granny and in the right a elderly couple, after waving at each other 3-4 times they drove side by side for a good 12 miles. never paid no mind to me riding on their bumper, in my big 4X4 Dodge Ram [S

In California, they enacted a "Road Rage Law" which means if you come upon slower traffic and do something like honk your horn or flash your lights, they must pull to the right. Also passing on the right is illegal unless, passing an obstruction.

Here in Ct, On his way home from work (2 hour ride) my 39 yr old son came upon some clown in the left (65mph) fast lane doing a nice even 50 along with everyone in the right lane. Followed the guy a ways hoping him or some one in the right lane would slow or speed up so he could pass. Having grown tired of being boxed in and the slowness of it all, he flashed his *hi* beams twice quickly. 5 seconds later...Uh-Oh! Lights, sirens and pulls over. The ***** gives the kid a *must appear in court ticket for aggressive/reckless driving* Gotta love America.......Big Brother at his finest. If they want the money that bad, just double the price of the driving license.

When and if my old pickup finally dies, i'm considering a 10 wheeler. Then i'll simply drive over top of the ones that pi** me off!!!!:eek:
Nahhh, you wouldn't. Nice think you would but you wouldn't. especially if you've ever seen someone that got squashed under a truck....

Colorado:
"Passing: Passing on the right legal when there are two or more lanes in one direction. No passing on the shoulder"

But also:

"The left lane is reserved for passing when the speed limit is 65 or higher."

Latest posts

Back