something different

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtRatsSpeedShop

As you all should know everyones always trying to do something different. Its pretty much impossible unless you have tons of money when it comes to engines. So i think im gonna do something not alot of people do. i think im gonna run the flathead 4 that was the orig engine in my "A". get a higher comp head, dual carbs, straight pipes, random finned stuff, and some paint, od tranny, and quick change rear. everyone talks about like the flatty v8 (and yes iove it too) but is that the REAL roots i dont think. so just seeing what yall think

drss

Thats a way cool ideal! Just get ready to drop some coin i don't think those parts are cheap. There was an article in one of the magazines about a little red truck with the 4 banger in it. Looked real good!

Isnt the top speed on those like 35 or 40? Its an awesome idea for sure, whenever i had my plymouth i was going to use the flat 6 that was in it, but then i sold it for the search of something else.

If that is the top speed, then going to a long distance show or just going for a nice cruise would suck. That is unless you like cruising at 35 mph, :).

Using the 4

All you have to do is look back in history and you'll see that a lot of the lakesters back in the 30's & 40's ran their beefed up 4's and turned in some decent speeds and times - - -So yeah - - - ya could say that's getting back to the roots of it all.

Great Idea....

I like the idea, and you would be surprised how many people run the
flat 4's with some goodies.

35mph is the max for a TT Ford 1 ton truck with a model T flathead.

My last visit to the Antique Nationals, the were more hopped up old
4 bangers than any other type motor.. (I have photos, if interested :D)

Kind of the same reason I run the old 235 Chevy 6, the direct competition
for the flat head V-8 back when....
Go for it, half of the fun for me was tracking down the old speed
equipment to use. Good luck '22

ya man deff would love to see some pics man and since im gonna be all over the states for close to a year (training) hopefully i can find some orig. speed equipment and not have to buy from a catalog

ya man deff would love to see some pics man and since im gonna be all over the states for close to a year (training) hopefully i can find some orig. speed equipment and not have to buy from a catalog

Ok, here you go with some hopped up 4 banger photos.
Some are OHV conversions, still interesting.
Speed equipment is not hard to find, the “right price” is...
And believe me, these go way over 35 mph.

You will notice some home made intake manifolds, early speed equipment at it's best.
Intake, header, cam, shaved head, ignition upgrade and you would be in the fun zone. ‘22

153.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back