South West 34 Dodge Humpback Panel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.34dodge

Hey rat rodders, my name is Zach and I live in the southwestern United States. I'm 15 and have built everything from Mustangs to Cadillacs with my father who is an auto instructor in the area. I recently acquired the rat rod bug and went looking around for something kind of special. My dad grew up watching a funny looking '30's Dodge get sold and resold thinking it was a custom job somebody had built and never finished. We think it had been in the area since its birth. It wasn't in our possession until Christmas last year and we finally found out what it was. It's a 1934 Dodge Humpback Panel wagon, which I plan to chop and shorten. Open to suggestions, as I'm a rat rod noob.I'm going to find the right place on this forum to start a build thread so keep me in mind. Found the forum the day we started working on it. I have taken many pictures and hope to post em up soon. Thanks again, Zach.

Welcome from Michigan

it's cool that you got the bug..... father son builds are great.... good luck and keep us posted..... [P

First Pictures

Thanks for all the quick reply's! Ive got some pictures of it now, and some idea of how to go about "fixing" it. Frames off, somebody that had it before us had crafted some independent suspension off a mustang to the front. they also added some strange rear suspension. We plan on building our own frame.
F04BOI6GNBES5O2.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Rare, but to far gone

While it is very rare, it is way beyond the point of restoration. We restore classics, so we know what it takes. Every panel is extremely damaged, the floorboards have been cut out and there is no interior whatsoever. It is basically a shell, no glass, there aren't even screws holding the skin to the shell. The front suspension was grafted on before we owned it, while its unique, we are planning to put a straight axle and use the spokes I put pictures of. Thanks for the comments, Zach.

Shorter

After much debate, we decided to go 22" shorter, making it around a 90" wheelbase. To keep the bodyline, we had to do a little thinking, but it worked. The internal supports and framework of the shell will line up almost perfectly. Next is the chop. We think we will chop it 5 inches, the windshield will be 6 inches tall, the windows 8.
FIVK8X2GNBEUDZ2.jpg
FZ9YO64GNBEUDZ5.jpg
FJLVMINGNBEUDZC.jpg

chop

ya probally only wanna go 4'' on the chop.

l raised my floor 3 linches and l had to lower the seats to see out.

the windshield area is small to start with and to much chop, ya won't be able to see outta it.

unless the 6'' chop is just from the windshield back.

also ,,,,,,, can you start a thread in "BUILDS" so every one can enjoy this build.

PS lots of pics:D

Later:cool:

Builds

Thanks for the input! I noticed that when the windshield was chopped the 6 inches, it was 5 inches tall. That seems very short, and it is, but it didnt seem to be a problem. We are also going to raise the floor quite a bit more than 3 inches, but the distance from the new floor (bottom door hinge) to the windshield was already very large, giving us plenty of room to lower the seat. The original seat had to be at least 18 inches tall, or you couldn't see over the dash. I have been working on the rig more than on scouting the forum, but I will certainly start a thread in the build section. This post ends this thread and begins the new one. Thanks again for the info, Zach.

Latest posts

Back