Steering.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wiith Cross Steering you eliminate a lot of what is known as "bump steer". Basically as the tires hit bumps most conventional set ups will cause the wheel to whip or turn in your hands as your tires hit the bump and that can be really dangerous at any speed but more so at higher speeds. Alot of guys use cross steering for the simple reason of safety and a smoother steering car or truck.

Just my opinion on it!

Thunder

I've got a half rack from Speedway. It steers the right wheel.
provides less bump steer and takes up very little room

AK Miller used a straight axle with a MG rack and pinion on his salt flat car i believe in 1949. I have aTRW rack on a 4" Magnum axle on my coupe. The rack is mounted on the back of the axle and a chevy pu ( 67-72) slide hooks it to the column, No bump steer ! The rack cost $50 bucks at the junk yard.

I used a sedan deville rack on my model A , I took the left tie rod out of the rack and only used the right side , kinda like a poor mans version of the uni-steer rack . Works great for me

I used a sedan deville rack on my model A , I took the left tie rod out of the rack and only used the right side , kinda like a poor mans version of the uni-steer rack . Works great for me

Some pics of that would be interesting to see, sir!

I've often wondered if the center-steer racks used on J-bodys (Cavalier, etc), as well as Grand Ams et al would work OK for a push pull using just one of those LLLooooonnnnngggg tierods.....

Regards,
Shea:)

use the cross steer, stay away from the uni steer,steers good but can't turn around in 9 acre field

Right now I have hot rods with side steer, cross steer and straight axle mount rack and pinion. They all work fine if installed correctly.

hey just for S & G's if you are ruinning independant front suspension ( I know the OP isn't) and have a very narrow spacing between the lower A Arm mounts you can use a subaru outback rack for a front steer setup. they are like 20" between the inner pivots and have long tie rods. They can be shortened to what ever you need. Also you can use them as power or convert them to manual. just my $.02

Latest posts

Back