Stuck piston rings

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

55fordtt

The engine in my car hasn't ran in about 30 years. I got it running but the 4th cylinder isn't firing and keeps fouling out the plug. I believe the rings are stuck I heard that was an additive I could put in the gas tank to help free the rings up, but I don't name the name of it.

Not sure about the fuel additive but you could try pulling the spark plug in the offending cylinder and soaking the top of the piston with Marvel Mystery Oil. The problem also might be with the valve seals or guides on that cylinder. Have you done a compression check? What engine are you dealing with here?

The engine in my car hasn't ran in about 30 years. I got it running but the 4th cylinder isn't firing and keeps fouling out the plug. I believe the rings are stuck I heard that was an additive I could put in the gas tank to help free the rings up, but I don't name the name of it.

Well, if you got it running then the rings are not stuck to the cylinder wall, but more than likely to the piston. You might try what Gastrick suggested, but after 30 yrs. of sitting, the rings are probably bad, It might work, but after sitting for so long, the rings will never return to their right size.you would have less compression, You might break a ring or two by firing it up,or even a ring land in the piston. Let it soak over night , then take a compression test.

2 words. New Motor! lol. Ya we soaked the pistons on an old fairlane when I was younger. It seemed to work ok. The compression still sucked though

Latest posts

Back