T-Bird/Mustang2 R&P for my '30

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump steer. The rack usually bolts to the frame, but when the suspension moves, especially on one side, the steering turns without steering wheel input.
Mounting the rack on on the axle/springs solves the bump steer, but creates problems with the steering column connection have to move constantly.

Unisteer used to have a r&p that mounted on th frame like a steering box but with only one link, so a cross steer could be used, but they were costly.

Another option may be a rack from a Caviler, those were also frame mounted and had a center tie rod mounting point and could also benefit from a cross steer style set up.
Its been years since I've messed with this stuff, who knows what is still available or what new stuff might work.

A Mustang II rack is front steer. You can use an Omni rear steer. Old Iron has done it. I've done 3 or 4 using a VW Sirocco and Chevy Geo racks. OI mounts the rack to the frame. I have mounted them to the axles.

I mounted a R&P to the frame of my '34 Dodge Brothers truck and ran a cross steer draglink over to the other side of the truck. It looks OK to me but I haven't test-driven it yet. Keep your draglink fairly parallel to the axle. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 0
Dodge Omni is what I used, it's in my 37 GMC build.
On these vehicles, the front axles don't move up and down enough to create bump steer. The key to it is, mount the rack at the same height and level with the axle, it made all the difference in the drivability.
The Unisteer is an excellent choice.
By looking at the pic MM posted, If you're on a tight budget, use a Omni rack just hook up the passenger side tie rod to the steering arm, leave the drag link on, remove the drivers side inner tie rod, put a plug in the boot and use a hose clamp or zip tie to secure it.

Bump steer. The rack usually bolts to the frame, but when the suspension moves, especially on one side, the steering turns without steering wheel input.
Mounting the rack on on the axle/springs solves the bump steer, but creates problems with the steering column connection have to move constantly.
A Mustang II rack is front steer. You can use an Omni rear steer. Old Iron has done it. I've done 3 or 4 using a VW Sirocco and Chevy Geo racks. OI mounts the rack to the frame. I have mounted them to the axles.
I mounted a R&P to the frame of my '34 Dodge Brothers truck and ran a cross steer draglink over to the other side of the truck. It looks OK to me but I haven't test-driven it yet. Keep your draglink fairly parallel to the axle. Good luck.
Dodge Omni is what I used, it's in my 37 GMC build.
On these vehicles, the front axles don't move up and down enough to create bump steer. The key to it is, mount the rack at the same height and level with the axle, it made all the difference in the drivability.
The Unisteer is an excellent choice.
By looking at the pic MM posted, If you're on a tight budget, use a Omni rack just hook up the passenger side tie rod to the steering arm, leave the drag link on, remove the drivers side inner tie rod, put a plug in the boot and use a hose clamp or zip tie to secure it.
Thanks to all for the info- especially for the heads up on M2 R&P being front steer. Glad I put that purchase off!
I'll do some looking at the ones y'all have mentioned do some thinking. Appreciate you guys keeping an eye on this one cause no doubt I'll have some followup questions.
Thanks again!(y)(y)

Latest posts

Back