Talking about building a frame.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

The guys who I work with starting wonder how you build a frame and I showed the a few pics from here but more questions starting popping up that I couldnt answer.I am enclosing a few pics of a drawing and maybe someone can help me explain it.The top frame( 1st frame in pic..) has a kick-up but how high do you make it..? What degree is the cuts to join the pieces.? Same for the front..? What degree would those be..? Now the second frame ( in pic..yeah I know there terrible pics but I can seem to get a good one..)is it better built one then the first..?Stronger..? Easier to work with then the first..? Which one to build..? Let me know...and thanks..:D:D

Attachments

• SANY0285.jpg
    SANY0285.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 137
  • SANY0287.jpg
    SANY0287.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 108
  • SANY0289.jpg
    SANY0289.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 109
basically you need to know the tire size you are going to use. that and the ride height of the chassis determines the profile.that way all the working parts of the chassis can be built to work in their sweet spot. the body is just along for the ride.

The angles on the one frame are probably 30 degrees. The other 90 degree frame is typically used for bobber trucks. A lot of guys build a wooden frame using all the components to make sure everything is cool before going forward.

ISore

Last edited:
Draw it out to scale, accurately, then measure the angles.

One of my early posts here, was a good site on building frames.

Get some boxes that washers and dryers come in . Cut them open and draw out the wheels tires and the frame in full size. Before you cut any metal. A lot easier and cheaper to go get another box and start over than to ruin a length of tubing.

Frame building

Thanks 35Mastr for that article but I was wondering something..He mentions a few things when building a frame that makes me wonder...He says that the perfect way to mount rear radius rods is to make them as long as possible AND to attach them to the trans mount.Now I checked over several builds and didnt see that anyone did that.It also states that you need to know tire size..I sure as hell dont know what size of tires I will be running yet...I know the engine and trans though.He also stated that a 90 degree kick is the worse you can have with a 45 being about the best.How do guys drive those bobber trucks then..? Just wondering...

Check Socal Speedshop for radius rods mounting near the trans mount. A very good way to do it.

Parallel radius rads are a bad idea on back.

Latest posts

Back