That's it for me!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Well, after 36 years of riding motorcycles, I am giving it up. I just lost a dear friend to a bike crash, and just yesterday another one went down. I've had it . I've been down 3 times in my years of riding, and the odds are stacked against me even more now. We are in a new age of cell phones, texting, and boom boxes, and no one is paying attention to what the heck is going on while driving. Having said that, I think I've had it with the new age bikers we have released to reak havoc on the streets. When I go to the rallys , all I see are paper tags and folks riding bikes dragging their feet while taking off, and wobbling into parking lots of BARS! NO THANKS! Selling the Road King, and gonna start making the swap meets and car shows. Sorry for the book, this is just something that has been coming for about a year now. I'm all better now.:rolleyes:

Yep... I lost the thrill after seeing a couple of people get killed right in front of me & losing a couple of friends in the last few years. Houston's a big town & we lose 2 or 3 people a week here. Just lost 4 a couple of weeks ago. 2 friends riding together with their girlfriends were taken out by a drunk driver who of course lived! I never went down but had several *very* close calls. One was a matter of inches, small lapse of concentration & I looked up at the very last millisecond. I had 3 small children at the time & that was the last straw for me! Got in my car & drove to the hardware store & bought a "For Sale" sign!

BoB

Sorry for your loss. It sucks to loose friends to something that should be fun.

Riding around in vintage tin isn't real safe either. Life in general is a series of calculated risks. You do what you think you can get away with. The trick is to get out while you are ahead.

Glad you are getting out while you are ahead.

Its unfortunate when we lose friends and relatives,I spent my youth making my mark and raising a family. Im now at a point of having the time to play so now I ride and build rods.I just try to watch out for the idiots and hope for the best, lifes to short to fear all the harm thats out there.

I sold mine after nearly 40 years of riding a few years back when it seemed I was losing a friend a week.
It seems worse here because the riding season is only a few months and cars forget that bikes share the road too.

I sold my last one 6 years ago for the same reason...I'm getting a little concerned about the coupe, I had a young girl cut right in front of me while she was talking on the phone and I had to slide sideways like a dirt tracker to keep from hitting her. She was oblivious to the whole situation and had no idea she had almost hit me.

I would love to have a small bike to ride back and forth to the shop and on errands to save some gas $$$$, but it's dangerous enough in a car, let alone sitting atop two wheels. Even when my Sons and I go cruising in our cars I am always the last car of the 3, so in case someone on their cell phone forgets we are stopped at a traffic light, I will be the one hit hardest.

I have mixed feelings about motorcyclists in general. There are the ones who try to ride responsibly and then there some idiots, usually riding crotch rocket type bikes, who know only one speed.........wide open. The cops down here are out in full force on Thursday nights because that seems to be when most of those guys are out in full force.

Don

I hear ya Don. I rode a kick start Shovelhead for years until my upgrade to the King a few years back. I have really enjoyed getting away on my bike. But, the truth is, I had a couple of really close calls a few weeks ago while on a road trip to NC to a bikers only campground for a week of relaxing. And, I do realize that our old jalopies aren't a garranty of anything. But, at least we still are able to remain inside the vehicle ..... most of the time in car during an accident. My wife also rides, and she told me that she's never seen me like this before. Both of my friends who recently went down were riding in the Hoka Hey challenge. I think I'm gonna get an enduro for backwoods riding.

Sturgis rally in full swing around here and you wonder how half of those bikers lived as long as they have. We don't loose many though, for the number in the area. I saw a bad wreck on I-90 Sat., bike tangled up in the guard rail cables.
You definbately have to be on your toes and riding for everyone on the road, and it will never be as safe as driving a car. I've lost a couple firends, seen some bad accidents but still plan to ride again soon as I get the rod finished. I know people killed in cars and I still drive, knew 2 people killed in a golf cart on the golf course this summer and won't stop riding a golf cart probably, just sayin... But I also think there comes that time for a lot of people when they just don't want to take the extra risk anymore, gotta respect that.

Blacksheep.... I'm with you.... I quit a few years ago.... too many super close calls. Drivers just don't care anymore and are easily distracted with all the fancy stuff on cars now. I rode for almost 30 years.... I do miss it..... but now I'm into rods not bikes.... so far so good!

Sorry to hear about your lose.

I been slowing down and only ride to bike shows and cruises. I real been think of putting them on a trailor to get them there. There are just to many people out there anymore that have no clue to want is going on around them.

I lost a couple of buddies and it takes lot out of you.

Just about a month ago there was a group of 12 riders going to there friends wake went they were hit head on by a drunk drive, He manage to hit all of them killing two of them. The biker were part of a sober biker club and the drunk was a off duty cop. And to top it off it was my cousin first call as an EMT. Man he is having a real hard time with it and been asking me not to ride anymore.

You cant fear the other people, but you do have to watch them close! I refuse to let others dictate to me what I will do/wont do due to their inattention to the surrounding area. I do however respect a persons choice to ride/not ride any more. I choose to wear a helmet regardless of the law...it's my decision to make,just like the decision to ride or not is yours. enjoy your life,its yours not theirs!

Blacksheep, you have my respect for your decision.
I Quit 29 years ago and don't regret it but, every now and then it's like when I quit smoking, for a few seconds the urge hits, I just don't do it!

Yeah, you know guys, it's not like I just started riding and decided it ain't for me. Technoligy has me spoooked as hell. And, to the feller who said the things about the golf cart and such, apples ..oranges..just sayin. And, I'm definitely gonna miss it...that is for sure.

I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. I think mist of us motorcyclists have been there, I know I have. Lost two friends within weeks of each other. It gives you a feeling unlike any other.that's for sure. But before you sell, I suggest you simply stop riding for a while until your emotions stop ruling what you may regret.I let mine sit for a year once. Still ride just not as much. My thoughts go out to you and your friends families.....cr

Keep in mind, it's all relative to where you live. Small towns and country roads are not city streets and 6 lane expressways.

Keep in mind, it's all relative to where you live. Small towns and country roads are not city streets and 6 lane expressways.

I hear ya Sam, but I have to tell ya, I have always taken the backroads when traveling. Alot of time folks are not used to watching for traffic on 2 lane state roads either. It's all a gamble anyway, you know. Anytime you get on the road you are risking your life. I've just decided to narrow the odds a bit. It's technology that really sppoks me the most. I have seen more people texting while driving down the hoghway and two lanes. I have a photo of a State employee driving down the highway, texting in one hand and talking on another cell phone in the other on her shoulder. Epic failure.

Latest posts

Back