thoughts on roadster build??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo King

OK guys,
So I've been collecting parts to build a roadster since I was 16. The plan was to build the body entirely from scratch and form all the panels since I can't find cheap roadster bodies around here and I prefer steel. I have been thinking lately though about whether it would be easier to find some rough quarters and cowl and patch them, or if it would be easier to just start from scratch. I want the car to flow well front to back and not look like a pile of pieces all jumbled together. I saw a guy on here built a 25' Chevy from just really rustypieces of the body laying on the floor and he brought it back to life. I guess the question is, would it be easier to reassemble pieces of a very rusty body, or build one from random sheet steel? And what can one expect to pay for a set of rough roadster quarters?

I'm sure those with more experience building rods than me can enlighten me! Thanks in advance

1. Scratch built: do you have the metal working tools and experiance to fab and form sheet metal parts? besides a MIG, TIG and gas welders (and to know how to use them)
2. Buying parts: This would be easier even if you had the metal working experiance for above. Parts are a lot easier to come by then whole usable bodies. Check on e-bay for ones that may be close to you.

weld on......[;)

Most home made bodys end up looking....home made. Mostly due to the lack of compound curves. Finding old tin is just a matter of looking. Even if it means internet. A usable set of old coupe quarters wouldn't break the bank to buy online and have shipped in by greyhound bus. Especially non-Ford items. I have seen a few old 20s Chevy coupe/roadster bodys around here and I even have one side of about a 28 Chevy with the fender on it, that I pulled out of a load of scrap. Even a whole cowl isn't that bad to ship. I sent one for a 27 Dodge all the way to Pennsylvania for less than $100. Doors aren't too hard to make.

Make your roadster out of a pickup cab . Old cabs are cheap and plentiful and if you do the windshield right most people can not tell its a pickup cab .

Attachments

• 1rpu roll bar.jpg
    1rpu roll bar.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 58
cab

Okay that looks cool. Any one know what year and make that is?? I have a 51chevy cab I am not using now but this gives me ideas.

Thanks

52 fordman

Have you given any thoughts on how you will get it titled?
I know every state is different , so you need to visit your DMV and find out how "they " want it done . I started with a cab -no title- , made the frame and used parts from all over . In my state they have a process for titling a built from scratch vehicle . I just did what they wanted and it was a piece of cake . Also had to go thru an inspection lane in order to get tags ,so I visited with the man in charge and made sure my truck met his requirements . Again a piece of cake .Also check out how Street Rod tags work in your state . Again in my state , after a 23 point NSRA inspection you get tags for life . You have to pay , but no more inspections .

I think y'all are right about homemade bodies. I haven't really seen any I liked yet. They all look too boxy. As far as using a truck cab, I want a roadster like 31' model a roadster.
As far as titling it goes, the way I understand it you get an assembled title for it once its done. Haven't looked into it too much but folks from around here say its not too bad. I'm in Indiana.
There's a local guy that made a Conestoga wagon car with 350 power. He got a assembled title for it. Its doable but I've not actually called the Bmv to see what it entails. If its anything like titling a trailer it won't be too bad.
As of now I'm thinking about getting the quarters and cowl and maybe doors and then building the framework to make it a body again and making the trunk lid.
Another question, Should I build the chassis for the car first and then do the body? Or should I get the body first and build the chassis once the body is here??

My 2 cents.

Many people have built hand formed bodies. Some look great. Others not so....
Do some searches on here and other sites to get an idea as to whats envolved.
As stated in an earlier post you could be way ahead if you locate a useable cowl to start with. The problem with buying old tin sight unseen from the internet is that it can be as thin as tinfoil and way past being weldable but still appear solid in the pics.

Lots to think about but that's part of ther fun....
Keep us posted.
Torchie.

You should have all the main parts (body engine trans) if your going to build your own frame before you start. to get the layout right. In the end you should buy a whole doner car that you intend to use the engine and trans from. its the little parts that will end up costing you a arm and a leg, most can come from your doner car. good luck and have fun

I have a chevy inline 6 and a 3 speed stick I'm gonna use. I've got a f100 front axle and a mustang rear. I may start with a cowl and build from there. After some research I think the quarters won't be too bad to make. As far as the little pieces, my dad works at a salvage yard and he can get me a lot of that stuff for next to nothing.

Last edited:
This is something I have wanted to do for a while. There is a reason I have never started....... besides the fact that my dodge isn't done of course.

Wow!! Busted knuckles, you have quite the car!! I've seen it before but I forgot it was hand built! I think my creative spirit is being renewed. Right now, if anything I may buy a cowl and go from there. Does it seem to you like a 32' Ford cowl would be easier to copy than a early ford A? Looks like it has more straight lines to me?

Latest posts

Back