Thursday at A&W.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Smalls, there are a couple of trivial things to iron out yet. It seems that opening three carbs is more stressful on the linkage than the engineers in the thirties intended. Ford made cute little spring latches to snap the linkage rods to the carb throttle lever and footfeed rod. They work running one carb but the springs in both ends of the link rod compress up every time I step on the gas. The gas pedal goes down about an inch and a half without doing anything.
And in one carb, I think I didn't adjust the throttle butterflies properly so sometimes the truck doesn't go right down to a nice idle. The butterfly valves seem to stick a wee bit open.
But, the truck sounds a lot better and pulls better too. That's a good thing.
I ran into a friend at the A&W show and he told me he had this weird old carb; it wasn't a 94 like mine, it was a 97, so he was going to throw it away. I put a stop to that right away. I told him it was a Stromberg and I was collecting them. He doesn't need to know that I'm just starting my collection.

Another week has just whizzed by and here are some A&W fellow show-offs cars.
The guy standing beside his '41 Plymouth is 'the tractor whisperer'. He is also pretty good with Chrysler products.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 24
A friend of mine is an appraiser here in Edmonton and has owned a number of big tire pro street cars. He bought this car out of Ontario probably 6-9 years ago. It's a really wild build. Looks like it might have been cleaned up a bit since he sold it. I had wondered where it ended up!

attachment.php

Dutch and Snopro, I didn't see who drove that 'cuda, so I don't know anything about it. Except, that I like old Mopar muscle.
E-man, the issues are mostly cured but two more are growing, so I'm not done fixing. It is developing a stumble as gently accelerate, and the back end of the transmission, [probably the overdrive part] starts to vibrate at 110 km per hour, [70 miles per hour].

Dutch and Snopro, I didn't see who drove that 'cuda, so I don't know anything about it. Except, that I like old Mopar muscle.
E-man, the issues are mostly cured but two more are growing, so I'm not done fixing. It is developing a stumble as gently accelerate, and the back end of the transmission, [probably the overdrive part] starts to vibrate at 110 km per hour, [70 miles per hour].

Oh, I had copied a photo. I was talking about the Red coupe with the fat tires.

OK, yes the red car caught my eye too. Those hidden back tires are 19.5 inches wide. It looks like a big block Chevy in there now. It's a fiberglass mostly, 30-31 Model A with a '32 grille.

OK, yes the red car caught my eye too. Those hidden back tires are 19.5 inches wide. It looks like a big block Chevy in there now. It's a fiberglass mostly, 30-31 Model A with a '32 grille.

Yep, looks just like it did when my friend had it, had the big block then too. Not sure if the paint has been cleaned up since he had it, but the colour is the same. I've got some old pictures of it somewhere.

What started out to to be a nippy day, turned nice and we had a nice Thursday at A&W. Here are a few of the cars and trucks. I was there with my '36, test driving a few fixes. All of the fixes were fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpg
    IMG_1268.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg