TiredIronGRB's '63 Fairlane Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredIronGRB

Traditionalist
Another project found me today, it's a '63 Fairlane that was completely restored 10 years ago, it was a 6 cyl 3 speed. The original owner died two years ago and his son decided to build a "Street Rod" out of it, he managed to cut out the front suspension and removed the engine, transmission and rear axle. He then booger welded a mustang II front suspension in it and also used the MII rear axle. Chopped a hole in the floor for a shifter (but didn't cut carpet) If all that wasn't bad enough he put a red Grant steering wheel in it. Shortly after this he quit on it and latter sent it to the crusher where it was intercepted by one of my "watchers".

All of the "modifications" have been removed and now you see what I have left. I can not express how perfect this car was, all the interior is new, fresh chrome on the bumpers, new windshield, wiring and dash is perfect, zero rust.

After seeing the car my first thought was "Gasser!" so I brought it home and will soon put a straight axle under the front and a 9" in the rear (drivetrain to be determined).

Fairlane_01.jpg

Fairlane_02.jpg

Fairlane_03.jpg

Fairlane_04.jpg

Fairlane_05.jpg

Fairlane_06.jpg

Fairlane_07.jpg

Fairlane_08.jpg

Outstanding!! I salute you sir for having saved this beauty from the squisher!! The kid should have his rear kicked and a brain scan for doing that to this car and then tossing out like yesterdays trash. I'm sure you'll do it justice and turn out a fine T-bolt style beast! [cl[cl[P[P (427 FE hint, hint)

Sounds like one of those more money than brain types!!!

I'm in the same dilema about engine, but with gas prices the way they are I'm leaning mild 302 with a thumper cam!!! Whats the use in having it if you can't drive it?

NICE SCORE!!!

cannot agree with the RRR crowd enuf on this one...

def. a nice car, the kid should be beat down, and glad to see you save another one... i'm thinkin high winding small block possibbly 4 spd and a nice set of big n little cragars...

but if that FE should be available it sure would be sweet

Great score TiredIron! That is such a nice body. Your watchdog has earned an extra helping of something.LOL Boy I have an engine that is sitting here in our garage that would look great in that bay but I have plans for it. Your going to end up with a great Thunder Bolt!

What an idiot! :mad:

I’m very thankful you have “watchers”, this is going to be a great seeing this thing brought back to life.

My daily drivers aren't in that nice of shape! I can't even wrap my brain around the thought of scrapping that car. Glad you saved it, can't wait to watch the build. [cl[cl

NICE CAR!!!![dr

Thank your "watcher" for the save, on behalf of all your old car buddies around the world.:cool:

That "kid" should have his ass kicked, for sure. WTF was he thinking?![S

How 'bout a 4.6 four cam, from a Lincoln MK VIII? My Matco rep is shoehorning one in his Maverick, to replace the old 302. The whole donor car (with freshly rebuilt AODE, no less) cost him, like a grand.:D

Never been a big fan of the "gasser" look, but I can certainly understand your plan of action, judging by the butcher job that poor car's already endured.:( Please keep us posted.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Is that 1/2" steel plate I see in there on the side of the original rails? Anyway, what a cool project!

What are your thoughts on power plant? That thing is screaming for a 427 or maybe a 428 Cobra Jet.

Glad you saved it!!!!!

He was sending that to crusher:mad: I don`t understand why people do stuff like that everyday.He could have sold it for parts car and got a lot more than scrap.
Sure glad you saved it.Great Job!!.It will make a wild gasser.[;)

He was sending that to crusher:mad: I don`t understand why people do stuff like that everyday.He could have sold it for parts car and got a lot more than scrap.
Sure glad you saved it.Great Job!!.It will make a wild gasser.[;)

Geesh! What's the big deal? It's just an old car. [ddd

The kid was foolish and clueless, he f'd it all up, and then tried to ditch the evidence. That my bet.

On the upside, if he hadn't hacked it up, it would have been too nice to cut into. :D

Latest posts

Back