title woes?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70_boosted

So i certified letter the seller and happened to get a positive response on finding the original title. it isnt in the previous owners name...but it is an open title...can that be transfered over easily? open title since 1979...

aahhh...... just sign it in the owners name on the front, date it for today and let r rip? Course, that might be illeagal![S

bill of sale has other name on it from the one thats on the title. but other dude gave me that original bill of sale from dude to him...???

What you have there is termed "title jumping." That is when someone buys a car but never puts it in their name, then they sell it to someone else. The State is mainly concerned because they lost out on the sales tax on the first sale, and also they want to make sure the sale is legit.........but mainly they want the sales tax.

I bought a car one time like that and had to drag the guy I bought the car from down to the DMV so he could first put the car into his name, then sell it legally to me. He wasn't happy that he had to pay sales tax, but that was what was needed to make the DMV happy.

Don

bill of sale has other name on it from the one thats on the title. but other dude gave me that original bill of sale from dude to him...???

Prepare to be disappointed then because that probably won't fly. You need a bill of sale from the registered owner to you. Legally the guy you got the car from never owned it and his bill of sale to you is no good and the one from the older owner to him doesn't do you any good either.
I would go back to the guy you got it from and have him transfer it to his name and then sign it off,
Many of us have been through this and judging from the number of threads on title issues, everyone has to go through it at some point.
I would suggest walking away from any car deal that doesn't have the title in the seller's name. And I also make sure he signs his name exactly like it is on the front. If there are more than one registered owner with the word "and" between them, they all need to sign. If it says "or" any one of them can. I have been snagged up for both of those issues too.
Bottom line, you do have an open title in your hand. Not to advise anything illegal but many of us have had to be "creative" to get past the bumps in the road.

I know every state is different but in NM all you need is the title at the MVD unless it is a dealer sale then you need an invoice or bill of lading. A bill of sale is only needed if there is no title for a private sale.

Well i paid sales tax right off the bat for the purchase...was only 9.00 but she asked for the title and i siad i was in the process of aplying for a new one and waiting for a response from old owner about a title even existing. how will taking it to the dmv and registering it help...im not signing anything yet...

Title crap can be a pain. My Wife bought a new HHR a couple of years ago and when I went to the license branch I noticed they spelled her last name wrong (which is the same as mine of coarse), I mentioned it to them and they would not change her last name correctly. The dealer had used an a instead of an o and they said I had to go back to the dealer and get an affidavit stating they misspelled her name and bring it back to them. All over one letter.

I agree, don't give up, we all face that "hold your breath moment" when we walk into the tag office and try to get plates for our projects. I sit there and say a little prayer each time...........I'm banking on God being a hot rodder. :D

You are giving up too easily. You have a signed title, even if it was from 2 owners back, so just don't mention that you got it from someone else. Walk in with your title, tell them you bought it years ago from that guy, and that you just got it finished. It isn't uncommon for us old car tinkerers to buy a car 20 or more years before we actually get it running.

If you are too young to have bought it in 79, tell them for some reason the guy simply signed the title years before you got it and gave it to you that way. It isn't like a swat team is going to storm in on you for trying to get this old car registered, just relax, dress up nice, be super friendly to the girl at the counter, and it will happen.

Don

my dad could possibly go in there as well and lay it down like that for me. bad thing is tho, the sales tax was already paid showing i bought from said owner;whose name is not on the title. so still kinda....&^%$!!!!!! im not gonna give up because im a stubborn ass and at my age it would be obsurd to give up this project in hopes for something down the road. same with my 70 formula 400 as much as that project is being hell and back for me over everything

i also have family in colorado that i can say in which i live periodically tho i have a wyoming license and i could try and retitle it there in my name, for its originally a colorado title...?

Take the signed-over title to the DMV and register it, don't touch a pen to it until they tell you to.

One Hundred percent correct. Take the original title over. Tell them that you bought it and the title has been in a drawer for awhile. Only if they ask will you show them a bill of sale. They will try to get taxes out of all the title jumpers on this vehicle and make your life miserable. When it comes to car titles keep it simple and act casual, pay with cash and have your I.D. and insurance card handy. good Luck and congrats on the new purchase.

its not road worthy nor insured, its just a project...but i already paid sales tax on my purchase of the vehicle using the bill of sale...

It behooves me that they could charge the sales tax and not transfer the title. And why would you do that? Just curious.
As often as this subject comes up, why isn't there a huge sticky on it? Mods?
I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops, most of us have gone through it. But there isn't a week goes by that a couple people don't come on here with titling woes. As much as we try to give good advice, people seem to wade into a mess and then look for a way out. Cars have had titles for at least 80-90 years in almost every state. Titles are for reasons, mainly to prove ownership, protect legal owners and of course to collect taxes and fees. If you talk to enthusiasts in your area, you will find there is always several ways to deal with the issue. I'd bet there are a bunch of us that have creatively come up with a bill of sale that fits the title. You do what you have to do. Once (a long time ago) I went in to transfer a title in Wyoming. It was a South Dakota title and had the word "and" between the husband and wife's name. Only the husband had signed it. It was late Friday and we were under the gun to have this vehicle licensed for the weekend. The lady in the DMV told me both people had to sign it. I left, went out to the parking lot and did what I had to do. I went back in and said I found Judy out in the parking lot. The lady just laughed and said "I figured she was out there somewhere". I have also had to "add" a middle initial to signatures because the owner didn't sign it exactly like it was on the front. I have learned every one of these things the hard way. Now I know when I go in, I am prepared and lay down everything they want, all ready and in order, mostly because I tried all the wrong ways and learned. We do what we have to do, maybe it's time to just cowboy up and get 'er done. Do what you have to do. How hard can it be to "come up with" a bill of sale that will match the title and satisfy them?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back