Toploader imposter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440shorty

Has anyone used the "Toploader imposter" 3-speed with overdrive out of a 77-78 Granada before? I can get one with shifter, and was wondering if it is a viable option to the weak V6 T5 I have. I was just reading the latest Car Craft editorial where the editor had bolted one behind a 429 Ford big block in an 81 Capri. I'm not really building a race car (although I will take it down the strip, of course :D ) but I'd also like to be able to let out the clutch without fear of an instant explosion.

So, anyone have any experience with these? Also, I would be bolting it (or any Ford car Toploader) to a GM engine. I thought I read somewhere about how to do that, but have yet to find the info. Something about the front bearing retainer needs to be turned down to fit the bellhousing...?

Anyway, I'd really like to make my truck a stick.

Thanks!

440shorty

I have one behind a 302 in my one rods. I have beat it pretty hard with no problem. I m running 3.70 in the rear and installed the trans for highway use.

As for drag racing there is a wide gap between third and four.

Latest posts

Back