Torque tube yoke interchange?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
I have recently reowned a project with a 54 chevy 235 and a 3 spd. It has the torque tube yoke and i doubt it can be used to fab a driveshaft to the 8" Ford rear i am using. Is there a later yoke for an open drive that will interchange? tks

I went the other way when I built my 54 years ago and just swapped a later 3 speed and a later rear end. I had access to a yard that had lots of ad stuff but never found a good 3 speed for the torque tube. Went thru 4 of them and never got one that didn't jump out of gear. Looking back I should have learned how to rebuild the original tranny, but some kids are slow learners...

I got a Muncey out of a late 60s malibu and found a posi off a 68 chevy truck that was a game wardens

Did the trans mate up without an adaptor?
Yes,, I don't remember having any problems with mating up. I . I just about lost it in that truck. One of the only times I was acting foolish. I had a buddy in a machine shop an helped rebuild the 235. He did a few things that really perked the old 6 up. One morning, coming back from a friends house, I was pushing it pretty hard. I topped a hill and spotted a semi pulling out from a side road. There was not enough road to get it slowed down enough. When I hit the brakes they were doing all they could but without any weight with the missing bed the truck was way too light. I attacked the pedal once and started into a slide let up and hit it again going from one side to the other on the old road. If it hadn't been for the alert trucker, i would probably not be here typing right now. He saw my predicament, stopped as he was just starting to cross into his oncoming lane making the turn onto the road. I let up, swerved to the left an just missed his driver's side. I stopped right after that, ran back to where he was and thanked him in person. He said we were both lucky and I agreed. He saw me coming and also realized my slide. Much respect for him! Been kicking my own butt ever since...

Easy to visualize that story SF. Not to make light of the situation you were in but that was an entertaining read. :)

Latest posts

Back