USA Gets Cheated on Cars

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

This is no where near a rat rod thread. We just got back from Costa Rica. There are lots of cool cars in other places that we just can't get here for one reason or another. Same thing in Italy when we were there. Rented a Ford Fiesta there that had a small diesel and 6 speed standard. Got well into the 40mpg range. In Costa Rica there was some very cool Hyundai, maybe COE or the engine inside like a van, I saw in a lot. We had a gas Tuscan that had an auto 7 speed. While in the small town we were in a guy pulled up in a Tacoma sized Toyota 4x4 with a diesel. I am still dreaming about the little Hyundai truck though. Dollar is pretty strong there but gas is about 7 bucks. 91 is regular there. Rant off!!! Jim

Tell me about it! After we sold our company, we went to Italy with another couple! We rented a full size Audi diesel station wagon... it was not noisy, did not smoke, was really fast & got 50mpg on the road! I would have bought one back home in a heartbeat but the US wouldn't let them into the country! There were also several small Mercedes diesels & other small cars that got 50mpg... also not available in the US! At that time most domestic cars & trucks were getting about 12-15mpg & the car companies said it was nearly impossible for cars & trucks to get 20mpg. It really made me mad at the time!

BoB

Big oil doesn't want cars that get 50mpg or anywhere close to that and they own all the politicians! Same as always, Americans keep getting screwed over time and time again! :mad:

Toad

VW Bug quit being imported here in 1978, but were still being made in Mexico well into the 80's. Lots of cars and trucks we never get the rest of the world has. Those "Best politicians that money can buy" have screwed us over for years, along with those unelected bureaucrats that do the bidding for those bought off politicians.

And now they are pushing energizer bunny cars. :mad: This crap will never end!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

VW Bug quit being imported here in 1978, but were still being made in Mexico well into the 80's. Lots of cars and trucks we never get the rest of the world has. Those "Best politicians that money can buy" have screwed us over for years, along with those unelected bureaucrats that do the bidding for those bought off politicians.

And now they are pushing energizer bunny cars. :mad: This crap will never end!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The last Mexico original VW Beetle was actually a 2004 model. They made them for a long time.

What happens is, as the vehicle mileage increases so does the fuel prices.
This happened when people went to diesel vehicles that gave better fuel mileage and increased power to save money.
You're not gonna get ahead of them.
Here's some of the reason for high prices too.
Go to the chart and also be aware of the statement made in the paragraph above it.

https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/
"See the current motor fuel tax rates for your state as of April 2022.

On top of excise taxes, many states also apply fees and other taxes including environmental fees, inspection fees, load fees, clean-up fees along with LUST taxes, license taxes, and petroleum taxes."

Going back to the first post, I was impressed back in '91 when we went to Mazatlan and saw all the super short bed 4 door pickups running around, imports and Ford and GM versions never seen in Canada. Of course they caught on and are everywhere now....

The last Mexico original VW Beetle was actually a 2004 model. They made them for a long time.

I don't remember exactly when it was, but they kept on making them in Brazil for a long time, too (but quit before 2004). Actually, they had stopped manufacturing them earlier, then the president ordered VW to start making them again. (There's a joke about that in Brazil, but it only makes sense in Portuguese.)

Latest posts

Back