VW bed build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltbreaker

Thought I would share a project I did for my son. It is completed already but I loaded all the pics into photobucket to do a build thread.

A year ago I had an idea to build a car bed for my son. I decided to forget about the plastic store bought ones and use an actual car. I ran an add on Craigslist for a VW bug shell that was no longer road worthy. I got an answer for a 1967 VW bug and towed it home. $100.
It was perfect for the project because the pan was completely shot and the mechanicals were gone.
I told my wife my plans and she just rolled her eyes and laughed. Boy was she shocked when I showed up with the car.
Here is what I towed home.
trailerbug018.jpg

I wanted to use the back end of the car as the headboard so I took a sawzall to the roof and the floor to seperate the car.
I parted out the front of the car and put the parts on the bay. The rear axle and wheels were sold too.
trailerbug020.jpg

trailerbug023.jpg

I didnt get a pick of the next step but the bottom of the rockers and pan where so bad that I cut off the bottom four inches in front of the rear fenders. A poor mans excuse for a section job. I welded angle iron behind the panels to strengthen the panel back up.
The tunnel for the trans was then removed and I got the rear axl and trans removed. The amount of mice crap you find under seats in these old cars is amazing.:eek:

I didnt take pictures but I welded 2 inch square tubing up and made a fake axle. The then welded flat plates to the square tubing to mount the wheels to. I also welded two pieces of tubing from the axle to the front of the car to make a structure. You can see the axle in the attached pics.
The fenders are so cheep to get from JC Witnetey that I decided to just buy new rears.
1922fordhelmetbug042.jpg

1922fordhelmetbug040.jpg

1922fordhelmetbug041.jpg

I welded a pice of square tubing from the left and right rocker panels to strengthen the bottom of the structure. Those were then bolted to the two pieces coming from the rear axle. Now the structure is strong again.
The roof arch still needed to be supported at this point but I will show that later. I welded in a piece of 3/8" round rod that I bent to the shape of the roof opening.
I used a pair of old Amer racing wheels I had to get the thing on the floor and see how it looked.
1922fordhelmetbugwing069.jpg

1922fordhelmetbugwing067.jpg

1922fordhelmetbugwing070.jpg

Body work was next.
There was a ton of small dents and dings that had to be hammer and dollied.
Then it was smoothed out with filler.
I wire wheeled the entire under carriage. I undercoated the whole bottom with heavy duty undercoater to keep from flaking on the bedroom floor.
bugpainted12-19-07005.jpg

bugpainted12-19-07002.jpg

bugpainted12-19-07001.jpg

Once all the body work was done I brought it to the painter and had him shoot it. The fenders have metallic in the paint. Looks kind of cool. I installed a piece of 3/4" plywood for the floor area where the matress will go.
bugpainted12-19-07020.jpg

bugpainted12-19-07019.jpg

bugpainted12-19-07018.jpg

Next step was to assemble the remaining parts. I picked up a pair of Cragar SS mags and tires from Craigslist and mounted them.
The original windows were reused. I bought new weatherstrippining though for the windows and fenders.
I bought black remnant carpet from the local carpet shop and had a buddy who is a carpet installer intall it.
The structure steel under the car got painted at this stage too. Just some plain old rustolium.
vwbeddone005.jpg

vwbeddone001.jpg

vwbeddone002.jpg

Last pictures are of the car in my sons bedroom. I welded some angle iron to set his matress on and it slides into the bed were the back seat use to be.

My friends and I cut a 9ft by 8ft hole in the wall that devides his room and the garage to get it in the house. My wife was atr work when I did this step.
I promised her that between the time she left to go to work and get home the wall would be down, car would be in, wall back up. and first coat of mud and tape on the walls.
Three days later the walls were painted and you never even knew what I did.
I will figure out how to post the video of us bringing the car in. I am not that computer savy yet. Next step is to decorate his room with car memorabilia.

My three year old loves this thing.
vwbedcomplete004.jpg

vwbedcomplete008.jpg

Thanks for the nice feed back.
It was a fun project but alot of work.
I think I worked on it for about 10 months on and off.
My son loves it so that makes the whole thing worth while to me.

Great project...nice bed for the nipper! My three year old is obsessed with trains, but his room is on the second floor, so I don't think I'll be able to imitate a project like yours. Beautiful work though!

Latest posts

Back