VW Bug Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgoo426193

Banned
VolksRod Pickup

Here are the first pix of my next creation. It is a 1972 Super Beetle and as you can see, I cut off the rear section. I sat the very rear corners of a 1950 Ford truck cab in place to simulate what my intentions are. I am building a pickup cab using the old cab corners of which I'm hoping will create a smooth "round" cornered rear, with the hopes it will look like the factory built it. The rest of it will be finished in a VolksRod , no fender style??

dcp04799x75.jpg

dcp04800x75.jpg

dcp04802x75.jpg

dcp04803x75.jpg

Last edited:
neat idea

not bad looking, ya fit right in here with all the stuff ya have,[cl

if ya was closer l'd have help me throw together my street legal race car 'couse it looks like you need something to keep ya busy, :rolleyes:

Later :cool:

welcome. I'm pretty new here to. I've been working on something similar, the cab idea at least, for several years now. I have a few tricks and tips on making the cab come together if you need or want them. what are your intentions for the frame and engine placement? are you keeping the mcpherson strut set up in the front or going with a straight axle?

welcome. I'm pretty new here to. I've been working on something similar, the cab idea at least, for several years now. I have a few tricks and tips on making the cab come together if you need or want them. what are your intentions for the frame and engine placement? are you keeping the mcpherson strut set up in the front or going with a straight axle?

To change over from McPherson strut to a staright axle, on a Super, would involve quite a bit of modification to the original VW chassis. But, I guess that is why we are looking in the Build section,right? Like mine. I took the Squareback body off the original VW pan, put it on a custom tube chassis and have a sbc 350 in what was once the front trunk. Crazy,I know.:cool:

Got a lot of replies after I turned the computer off last night. Let me try and respond to all of you at once here

skull - Right man, like I need another project, Ain't[;). I like the race car idea. A local guy here is building a street legal sprint car and a guy near my home in Cape Coral Fl. has a super nice 32 Ford sedan vintage street legal dirt tracker. Skys the limit !!!

V8Square - Yes, I kinda of stopped over here from the VolksRod forum, I like them all though and have many others. I'll stick some links at the end of this post for those of you that don't know me

twowheeletex - The pickup/vw cab thing is not a new idea, that's for sure. I thought of using the 1/4 window Chevy cab, but a local yard here was crushing the Ford cab and I got what I needed for 25 bucks. On my photos it looks like I'm making an extended cab with small windows, however those corners will be trimmed and moved forward, eliminating the opening you see in the photo. I like your post with all the photos. I'm leaving the VW chassis as is and of course building a bed on the rear and installing a hopped up 2110cc engine I have here

V8 & two - On those struts. They do make an adapter to direct fit a beam suspension onto the Super front body. My intentions though are to move the shock towers and underside fixtures forward about 6 inches to give it more of the rod look. I'll make a nice cover to hide the exposed spring also as I hope to run it fenderless if my state lets me get away with it

Skip & Dirtyrat - Thx for the compliments. Here are some links to my personal website and a few photos of my VW Shorty bus I'm also doing. The last photo is the near finished underside and I may just put the Super Beetle engine in there for now just to move the Shorty around while I'm still working on it and when it goes to the paint shop. Keep in touch by all means

http://www.tlgenterprises.com/vw_stuff.htm

http://www.tlgenterprises.com/my_hobbys.htm

BUS-19.JPG

DCP04693.JPG

3.jpg

Speaking of builds

I don't think I've posted this build here yet. It sure won't find it's way into any of the VW projects mentioned earlier in this thread, unless I take it to a swap meet in one of them to display it

Click the link below to see my VW Cutaway engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouw8FVF-6HQ

utube%20image.jpg

Last edited:
DCP04693_small.JPG

/QUOTE]

You sure have a creative imagination....... Whats it like to cruise that baby down the street??

Thx Neverdone, as a matter of fact, the photo of the undercarraige, just below that one you quoted is as far done with the bus as I've gotten thus far. I am anxious though to make that maiden cruise

If you want to see some of those I've finished, go to the following link. I personally scratch built 5 of the 6 shown near the top of the page and you can surf the rest of the page and website for lots of neat things to look at

http://www.tlgenterprises.com/my_hobbys.htm

Last edited:
looks like you have a lot of cool projects. The bus just reminds me of an old penny popper toy car from back in the day!!! Bet that when its all done even with a stock VW motor it will pull wheelies which I think would be AWESOME!!

looks like you have a lot of cool projects. The bus just reminds me of an old penny popper toy car from back in the day!!! Bet that when its all done even with a stock VW motor it will pull wheelies which I think would be AWESOME!!

Right on about the wheelies. You can Google shorty bus and see a ton of videos of them standing on end, and I think some have mostly stock engines

I'm building a healthy 2332cc for this one, so I don't know how that will work out. Liable to go right over on the roof???:eek::eek::eek:

I'm not using the original pancake style engine, but rather an earlier style 1600cc dual port based aftermarket stroker case, so the rear should be slightly lighter

From some videos I've seen, they also nose down pretty hard if you have to panic brake. I've never heard anyone say they were just undriveable, so I went ahead with the project. It will be lowered about 3 or 4 inches and I have 4 quality gas filled shocks, so Maybe that will improve the handling. Wish me luck

I gave a guy the back of an 49 Chevy cab to do the same thing.

th_briancustoms.jpg

Righton Todd, I dig sample photos. I intend on having a shorter cab in the end, however I like the quarter windows. I'll be placing the rear door jamb of the Ford truck door opening against the forward edge of the side window opening on the bug. It should be a dead ringer in length for your photo if you just brought the rear cab forward to eliminate your quarter window

Latest posts

Back