What Makes A RAT

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodFord

What Makes a Car or Truck a RAT ROD?

Im buliding a 40 41 Ford Truck, Its gonna be old WW2 Geen with a ww2 pinup on the truck, Im gonna use my Granddads WW2 Gernade for a shifter knob.
Of corse SBC 3 Duses, 1940 Ford Taillights. Wire Wheels Don't know what color yet. Tell me if thats a Rat Rod?

I don't see why ever one Fights about Hot Rod and Rat Rods, In the end ever one is saveing them from the junkers And we all like the same thing OLD STUFF lol.

Saving them

I agree with you HRF, as long as we keep'em out of the crusher that should be all that matters. Course it may be like the chevy, Ford thing we just wanna disagree. Later Whit

Low buck, home built, and meant to be driven. There is a humorous thread on this subject "Your's might be a rat rod if...."

I get P off really easy when some one has a &^&*^* comment on my 71.
Like the rims! There stock and a lot of people have something to say about them, Like a Judge at a car show said ya need to get something diff, Well buddy you must not know *^*^ about my truck then lol, I just wish peope woud keep there lips shut if they did not have something nice to say.

I drive that serieas of Chevy trucks too.......they are just friggen jeleous that our trucks are paid for and they have nothing educational to talk about.

A RAT is a ride that is usually built from all 4 USA manufactures. Pieces and parts covering some time span from period to period of upgrades. When we start reverting back to the Flintstone era in our builds.....then it could possible be rewarded with the term RAT.

Other wise, you are building a really cool low slung rod. I for one prefere my rides to be concidered as Frankenstiens, Beasters, Relics from the Kript, THE BLOB, maybe something of the Animal House Delta "Death Mobile" type RAT.

It has come to be termed a rat if it is no older then a mid to late 39'ish year vintage of any make ride. I am not sure to WHY the general rodding community has deamed this, but the RAT is the mokery of any "Custom Rod" built from those first glory year rides in the Ford family. Just a conspirecy agianst all other forms of rides.

I prefer the big fat fender 1 ton or larger road monsters. A heavy body truck just bounces the crap out of any other ride on the road. My 38 IHC has 1/8" or thicker American Steel as its primary armor, so not many other rides, be it truck or car will ever survive much less endure any kind of bump from my road beast.

I like to see them special custom hot rods just fold up under the wheels of my giant flintstone rat truck. Just search the web for my 38 IHC D30, you will see how big these trucks are compared to any 1/2 ton tin bucket.

Maximo

I drive that serieas of Chevy trucks too.......they are just friggen jeleous that our trucks are paid for and they have nothing educational to talk about.

A RAT is a ride that is usually built from all 4 USA manufactures. Pieces and parts covering some time span from period to period of upgrades. When we start reverting back to the Flintstone era in our builds.....then it could possible be rewarded with the term RAT.

Other wise, you are building a really cool low slung rod. I for one prefere my rides to be concidered as Frankenstiens, Beasters, Relics from the Kript, THE BLOB, maybe something of the Animal House Delta "Death Mobile" type RAT.

It has come to be termed a rat if it is no older then a mid to late 39'ish year vintage of any make ride. I am not sure to WHY the general rodding community has deamed this, but the RAT is the mokery of any "Custom Rod" built from those first glory year rides in the Ford family. Just a conspirecy agianst all other forms of rides.

I prefer the big fat fender 1 ton or larger road monsters. A heavy body truck just bounces the crap out of any other ride on the road. My 38 IHC has 1/8" or thicker American Steel as its primary armor, so not many other rides, be it truck or car will ever survive much less endure any kind of bump from my road beast.

I like to see them special custom hot rods just fold up under the wheels of my giant flintstone rat truck. Just search the web for my 38 IHC D30, you will see how big these trucks are compared to any 1/2 ton tin bucket.

Maximo

Beaster is dang near what im doing! Its gonna be a work truck

I went to MonsterJam the other night and they had a 1959 DeSoto. NOT ANY MORE :mad:

RatRod?

Ok, i don't care what it should be called, it's yours to enjoy & especially if you built it yourself.
JUST ENJOY IT!

I have a '41 Plymouth 4dr. sdn. that i bought in running condition(6cyl.3sp) but i wanted a V8 automatic, so i bought an '85 police optioned Dodge Diplomat for everything(318c.i.4brl.auto,rear with springs,front suspension, steering colunm,seats) i could use in the '41
I wanted to let the '41 almost stock looking but with the newer drivetrain & suspension. But after taking it apart & a couple of heart attacks later i can't put it back together so i'm gonna sell it & try to buy a turn-key vehicle that doesn't need much work.

Handbook

Please refer to the rat rod handbook... available at your local book store or library! :D

BoB

Man, don't even worry about trying to "define" the term. Just build what you like with the vision in your head and you will be happy. So many people have skewed ideas of what makes it a hotrod, street rod, rat rod, traditional, etc, etc, that you could spend so much time trying to explain the differences

I think the Rule of Rat Rods goes something like this:
"Hey Man, don't worry about what others call it, it's your ride so do what you want."

It, or something similar gets said everytime the rat rod discussion comes up.

Wow, a couple of you guys seem to be wound kind of tight about your rides. If you are thin skinned about what other people think you will probably end up offended at some point. Personally, I refuse to give other people that power over my happiness.
First off is what has been said, build what you like and enjoy it. But don't expect everyone else to think it's just the only car ever made. Some people have a better sense of proportion than others. Some people like extremes. One thing I recommend is to study a lot of different builds and see what looks right to you, then try to work that in. Some people like extremes. Be careful there, just because 18s looked good doesn't mean 24s will look better or just because chopping 4" looked great doesn't mean chopping 12 will look 3 times better. Find balance.
I read an article Baskerville wrote many years ago on the subject and he had been around, had a good eye. One thing I remembered was about the front wishbones, hairpins or whatever you use, keep them parallel to the ground and also the drag link parallel to the bones and to the ground. Attention to little details like that often make the different between something that just looks throwed together and the rods that look well thought out.
Then when your "done" call it what ever you want. Don't worry about whether you made it onto the "ratrod" bandwagon or not.

RAT?

RAT= Rusty and tattered

RAT= Really altered tin

RAT= Rita and Tony

RAT= Ritous attitude Tom

RAT= Rare "A" & "T"

RAT= Reving automatic transmission

RAT= Roadster absent top

Ok, now your just being silly. But dont forget the rat motor.

Latest posts

Back