What's it worth

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
So my buddy has a motor and trans that I would love to put in the Dodge. It is not my dream motor but the coolness factor is definitely there.

He has a 429 Caddy with a TH400 TCI build trans to back it up. I would need to get a converter and probably throw some gaskets at the motor. I know for a fact that he only paid $500 for the set.

What do you think it is worth?

What he paid really doesn't have anything to do with what you will. I mean the price sounds fair but just because some one else got a smoking deal doesn't mean they have to give you one. Nor should you expect it to be cheap to you just because it was to him.
When negotiating a price with "friends" and they seem to be wanting the good friend price, my response is this. If one of us has to make a sacrifice because we are friends then why don't you pay me more than it's worth instead of me taking less?

You are the voice of reason WB.
402471-1.gif

You do make a good point there in the end WB. My thoughts are you have nothing to put it in and you arent going to go buy a car because you have this junkyard motor on your floor. Basically it is one of those things that if I don't buy it, it will sit and rot until its no good anymore.

It's not always the case but usually... more displacement = more gas used! My Nailhead is bored out to 431ci & it ain't easy on the wallet sometimes... but I do have a lil of a... err... leadski footski! [ddd:eek:

BoB

engine.

You haven't heard it runh,whats his reason for pulling the intake ? You are basicly looking at a hopefully rebuildable core. $500 is kinda high for a core and you have no idea about the tranny either. Could be buying a boat anchor core but might be lucky. Your choice and money. I personaly won't buy an engine I can't hear run.:cool:

I'd buy it... hell I picked up a 300 Ford just because I might use it in the future...
It's not like you can't re-sell it if you decide against using it.

Learned something new

I was reading this and thinking,'why was there a Ford motor in a Cadillac?' Then I googled Caddy and 429. Sounds like a horse of an engine! 340 hp stock. Would definitely have a cool factor.

Why's it need a converter? I recently found out that some TH400's had a pitch switch for dual stall speeds.

Yeah, where's the converter? Sam's right, 429's were backed by the switch-pitch trans and you'll need the correct converter... unless it's been modified with standard TH400 stuff. [S

429's are an animal all their own and I'd want a correctly matched assembly; bellhousing, starter, flywheel and of course, the converter...

Latest posts

Back