windshield ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingthunder

Is there any alternative to reall glass windshield.. I have a 27 roadster that need just a straight piece of glass..cheaap or easy to cut

Laminated safety flat plate glass,Like whats in store fronts,school buses,big trucks.Most plexi's are illegal.

$45 for something that won't send knives into your face sounds like a bargain to me.

....I'm starting to sound like B.E.D. .... :rolleyes:

$45 for something that won't send knives into your face sounds like a bargain to me.

....I'm starting to sound like B.E.D. .... :rolleyes:

HAHA. I like your style Sam. Or are all we just getting wiser with age? Hopefully! :D

And as far as the glass goes, there's no reason for an alternative. Flat laminated safety glass can be had cheap at any local glass shop and cut to any shape you desire.

Last time I took a model a windshield to the glass shop it was only $100 and came in clear or the green tint we got. He cut it, bedded it, and only took a day. I see people with plexiglass and I shudder what would happen if it shattered. :eek:

Din

Windshield

I see nothing wrong with lexan, if nasa used it to make space helmets and they still use it today in aircraft windows, they make safty glasses for your eyes from it, it can't be all bad. I watched a car at the drag strip a few years ago blow up at the line when it overfilled with nitrous, blew the hood off, buckeled the front fenders and the windshield made of lexan split straight across the bottom, no small pieces, just 1 long rip.
I did use 1/4" lexan mr10 coated for my windshield.

Yes those are all great uses, but they aren't nearly as dirty as a street-driven automotive application. Lexan, plexi, etc. is still plastic, and wheteher or not you can argue strength is here nor there. The fact is it SCRATCHES, and much easier than good old fashioned laminated safety glass. It's so cheap and easy to have glass cut - Why even try to justify half-assing it?

Also, a '46 Chevy is all flat glass. What would you need to bend??

Windshields

Yes, I will agree with BED and DON a good glass will hold up for years, I had the lexan left over from a race car build and I used what I had. Oh yea the dot thing, in our great state of Va inspection codes, laminated safety glass was not used untill 1938 so in my 1930 chevy it was cool with the inspector. Sure if your cruising thru the desert in a sand storm I can see the lexan getting messed up, so to sum it up, don't be stupid like me. BED and DON I do look up to all your builds, you build some very nice cars, and always give great advice

Latest posts

Back