would a c10 be a good rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drowzysleeper

as asome of you know im looking for my first rat rod project i have found numerous c10 chevys for cheap. im really wanting to get something in the 30s 40s 50s but having trouble with thaat. has anyone used a c10 as a project/ if so does anyone have some pix, it would really make my day

Will it look good fenderless - NO. Can you rat it, look at Flatbroke's project. The 60's C10 is a cool looking truck to base a project on.

There's a 68 C10 where I live that's chopped, slammed, and primered. Great lookin truck, but it's got to have fenders!:D.........CR

Ck this 1!

Here's my buddy's!

BoB

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 21
Take a look @ my signature link, it is a 1981 GMC Stepper and I only have maybe $900.00 in it as it sits today.

The answer is yes, you can make these ole trucks look any way you want them to, Will they be accepted as "Rat Rods", Maybe, maybe not.

Build what you have the money to build and do it safely. The biggest thing is to have fun in the process.

Post pics of what you have or what you are considering.

well i have decided that im just gonna wait until i find early 40s truck like my grandpa used to have. the reason for i considered the c10 was because the frame was good and it ran. it would be nice to have a newb section on here where i could look up "how toos" and not bother everyone with dumb questions. thanks for everyone input i dont want to settle for something less than what i want so im in search for a 40s p/u

Use the search function, no question is dumb, and none of us know everything. :)

Don't just look for a whole truck, even a rusted out cab is a good start. Check CraigsList, local want adds, talk to shop owners - get the word out. Drive around in the country side and try to see whats out behind the barns. Go to the scrap yard and give a guy there your #. A lot of ppl think if it's got a rust hole and isn't shiny, it's junk so they won't bother trying to sell it.

If you get a 40's or 50's car, you'll prolly want a complete (or near) car. But a 30's-50's truck, just the cab will do ya. Look at some of the build threads - many of them are a truck cab on a home built frame with all sorts of salvaged parts.

On the other hand, don't go too far past your abilities unless your serious. Me, I like to jump in too deep and learn to swim on the way to the bottom. ;)

If you get a 40's or 50's car, you'll prolly want a complete (or near) car. But a 30's-50's truck, just the cab will do ya. Look at some of the build threads - many of them are a truck cab on a home built frame with all sorts of salvaged parts.

On the other hand, don't go too far past your abilities unless your serious. Me, I like to jump in too deep and learn to swim on the way to the bottom. ;)

thats exactly y i want a complete car. i cannot weld so unless i plan on buying alot of beer for my buddy i need a stock frame. i have seen some threads where people use s10 frames and such, is that a good idea or would that be more of a pain to get modified? thanks for the info

If money is tight (like it is @ my house) Buy what you can afford and modify it to fit.

It might not be a bad idea for you to save youre money and buy a respectable welder and get some practice time in. I know I need to do it instead of bummin from my neighbor...

Callin on friends ain't all that bad either.

No question is a DUMB question around here. You won't be made fun of.

thats exactly y i want a complete car. i cannot weld so unless i plan on buying alot of beer for my buddy i need a stock frame. i have seen some threads where people use s10 frames and such, is that a good idea or would that be more of a pain to get modified? thanks for the info

I was in the 'cannot weld' category until I bought a welder and started welding. [;) Welding in floor patch panels or a new exhaust run, etc. is great practice. Then you can move on to body panels, chops, and eventually go big time and weld up your own frame.

I'm doing a frame Z and stretch, but I'm not to the point where I trust my welding skills to do frame. So I'm currently cutting all the sections, prepping my frame, and getting everything aligned and tacked together so another guy can come over and do the welding all up in one shot.

Maybe you shouldn't be too picky about what to get this time - think of it as a practice run for next time? So when you do find 'the one' you'll be ready to get at it.

I was in the 'cannot weld' category until I bought a welder and started welding. [;) Welding in floor patch panels or a new exhaust run, etc. is great practice. Then you can move on to body panels, chops, and eventually go big time and weld up your own frame.

I'm doing a frame Z and stretch, but I'm not to the point where I trust my welding skills to do frame. So I'm currently cutting all the sections, prepping my frame, and getting everything aligned and tacked together so another guy can come over and do the welding all up in one shot.

Maybe you shouldn't be too picky about what to get this time - think of it as a practice run for next time? So when you do find 'the one' you'll be ready to get at it.

man that is a good idea to just get a practice 1st time car, what is preffered for a fist time welder im down to try anything and with me loving car and being laid off my being able to weld would help my resume. how cheap are welder and what type would be good to start with

Latest posts

Back