Another International Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
2007_0816turkey0140.jpg

Here's a '35 International I built last year. This is my first new thread. I've never initiated one before, so I'm not sure how to post multiple pictures. The truck has a 250-6 Chevy with a Saginaw 4 speed and S-10 rear end. A narrowed F-1 (or F-100) front axle on parallel leaf springs in front and quarter eliptics without shackles hold up the rear. I'll post construction shots and provide more information a bit later.

Last edited:
Fortunately, no one mistook by IH for the restroom! I'm an old guy and parking close to a restroom is handy.

2007_0816turkey0140.jpg

Here's a '35 International I built last year. This is my first new thread. I've never initiated one before, so I'm not sure how to post multiple pictures. The truck has a 250-6 Chevy with a Saginaw 4 speed and S-10 rear end. A narrowed F-1 (or F-100) front axle on parallel leaf springs in front and quarter eliptics without shackles hold up the rear. I'll post construction shots and provide more information a bit later.
Sweet ride man, is that a Mercedes grill ?!
I'm putting a 6 in my newest build too. I've been lusting after one for along time. How do you like driving it?

Can't wait to see the rest of the build pics.

-Mike-

P3030079.jpg

Here's a shot of the frame. It is a goofy looking frame. I seem to specialize in goofy looking frames. The front axle is narrowed to a 46" kingpin centerline and mounted on top of the springs. The front frame, to the firewall, and springs are probably early Dodge. The rest is rectangular tubing. To answer an earlier question, yes it is a Mercedes radiator shell; a $25 buy on eBay. I think it's from a late 40's to early 50's Mercedes, but that is only a guess. I intended to paint it but kinda like the shiny look, at least for now.

Last edited:
P3030082.jpg

Here's a shot from the rear of the goofy frame. The springs were on the frame that I got the front springs and frame setions from. They were semi-eliptics and I cut them into quarter eliptics. The rear set up works like a 4 link, with the spring acting as the top link. That's why there's no schackle. The diagonal link is like a pro street or drag racing locator. The high small crossmember with the holes is just a shock mount. It doesn't have to support the weight of the truck. The Caddy tail lights were left over from another project. All the rear end junk is exposed, that is why I tried to build something interesting to look at. It has 3 leaves in the rear springs and would ride better if I wasn't using shocks that are too stiff. They are vintage Columbus shocks and I like their look, so I'll just put up with the stiffness.

Last edited:
That's a really cool looking truck bob w. 24dodge will be happy that you posted these pics. He's been looking for some pics if your truck.

Reeely Cool

Looks like the grill matches the valve cover....it flows well. Keep it the way it is , in my opinion.

2007_0508CameraNew0010.jpg

I got the body by losing my mind on eBay. It's long trek to the western edge of Nebraska from Minnesota. I was able to use most of the wood by using a watery epoxy called Qwikpoly to firm it up. The top is chopped 4" and the rear window 2". My first chop. The flat part of the floor is 3/4" plywood stained and varnished with a Brazillian Rosewood color. The sheet metal parts are sort of swirl polished with a 3M disc, then cleared. Later model IH gauge clusters are installed. The steering column, wheel and pedals are '35 IH. The seats are Model A from my collection of junk in the garage attic. The gas tank is from an early Dodge car. At this point it has an early 30's Chev truck steering box, later replaced by a '40 Chev truck box. I have a Ross box that I will probably put in in the spring. You can see that the body is tilted on the frame about 4", the front being lower, of course. With the body level on the frame I thought the firewall looked tilted back at the top and I didn't like it that way. The Saginaw 4 speed has a Hurst shifter, chev truck bell housing with the clutch fork on the passenger side and a hydraulic clutch that workes very well. The S-10 rear end has about a 3.43 gear and I keep wishing for a 5th gear on the freeway. I built the truck in one year, as I usually take that lont and, it has about $5,000 in it.

Last edited:
2007_0508CameraNew0011.jpg

The engine is a 250 Chev 6 that found its way from Texas to Minn. in a rust free truck. The 6 was removed in favor of something bigger and treated like a red headed stepchild until I bought it for $150. It came with new CE motor mounts, otherwise I would have made my own. All I did was change oil and filter and put a points distributor in it to get rid of the large looking HEI unit. I built the intake/header. The intake is water heated. Three of the cylinders exhaust out the passenger side. The inspiration for this truck was a cover truck in The Rodder's Journal a few years ago. It was a bare metal '34 Ford with a 235 Chev 6. The writer pointed out that Chev 6's have a good side and a bad side appearance-wise. The passenger side being kind of bare. That's why I ran half the exhaust under and out on the passenger side. It gives the engine compartment better symetry. I used a brass sprint car radiator with 4 upper outlets. That, plus a heater and the heated intake accounts for all the hoses running every which way. All my other rod have small block Chevy's in them. I worried that this might be kind of under powered by comparison. I've been pleasantly surprised by the acceleration of this beast. Regarding the 2 carbs; I rebuilt them and made sure they had the same jet size. The only adjustment I made was to turn the idle mixture screws out 3 turns instead of the typical 1 1/2 turns.

Last edited:
Blue, are youe serious??? On my computer, they take up the whole screen! I've been trying to figure out how to make them smaller. I tried the procedure suggested by the mod. but I'm too computer stoopid to get it right. Are my pics really too small? Or, are they as big as I'm seeing them and using up a ton of bandwidth. I don't really know what that means but I've seen other people mention it.

Last edited:
Blue, are youe serious??? On my computer, they take up the whole screen! I've been trying to figure out how to make them smaller. I tried the procedure suggested by the mod. but I'm too computer stoopid to get it right. Are my pics really too small? Or, are they as big as I'm seeing them and using up a ton of bandwidth. I don't really know what that means but I've seen other people mention it.

No, they are real small.. Here's a screenshot from my computer

Screen.jpg

Ahhhh..
That's great on my screen!!!
Looks great..
Could you please post the pics of your suspension set up again for me :D

Latest posts

Back