Another Volksrod!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullDog

Frankenstein - Another Volksrod!

Well I started with this 2 years ago:

Bugorama56003.jpg

Bugorama56011.jpg

The plan was to do a little body work heater channels and put it on the road. Well after having it media blasted, I was not happy at all with what I found. Looked like parts of the roof had been worked over with a sledge hammer. The oval window and ragtop clips were both off center and crooked.

So I pulled the body and replaced the heater channels:

bodyoff.jpg

And proceeded to rechop a choptop. (BAD IDEA!)

jan28001.jpg

Last edited:
020706004.jpg

Well I now had an early roof, oval window clip and windshield so I guess I needed to make the rest match... time for doors and quarter windows.

022206002.jpg

022206003.jpg

3-8-06-032.jpg

then leaned the B-Pillars forward:

71.jpg

Shaved the gutters in front of the doors only:

092.jpg

Door mockup:

098.jpg

Doors hung:

106.jpg

time for door tops:

107.jpg

110.jpg

Notice the roof almost looks like a wedge chop but its flat. The roof skin is slid rearward not only for the look but the oval window clip does not need to be laid down as much.

113.jpg

Wheels and tires are done:

129.jpg

239.jpg

Wheels and tires mounted for the first time:

305.jpg

Knee action shocks mounted to the 8" beam extension:

327.jpg

Shock towers removed:

346.jpg

549.jpg

557.jpg

Sorry I know its a lot but its been two years! :) still to come is hydraulic pedals moved back 6" as well as moving the shifter back the same amount.

Bulldog...
Been watching this build from the beginning. Don't matter what kinda car you think is or isn't a Rat.... yours qualifies at or above any out there. Very cool.

Thanx Rob. I love Rats but this will eventually be finished... paint and interior. but for now just wanna get it on the road. The plan was 6 month clean up and enjoy it... its been over 2 years now... but not always easy to get there quick enough only working weekends and not every week at that! I'm having more fun with the build than I think I'll have when its done!

Very nice!

BDog,
Very kool Vdub & thanks for posting... lotz of Bugsters around these parts (includin' me)!!! That's gonna b a really kool ride when u're finished (sorry, couldn't resist)! Please keep us posted!!!

BoB

Nice

That's is one nice looking project, I love the slanted post. I trying to decide what to build and of course an old vbub is one of the choices, but your version has me down to 2 vbub visions, I thought I wanted to build a vbud roadster, but damn that chop looks good.... now I'm leaning more toward an old bug than an old early ironed coupe or sedan or t-bucket or truck or,... THANKS!!!!

Latest posts

Back