Another Volksrod!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hood is ready to go on the car.

736.jpg

hinge will swing the other way once its cut out.

Inner structure is almost done as well. this is part of where it got is name "Frankenstein"
722.jpg

721.jpg

nothing too e4xciting to show. a lot of odds and ends finished. and the tub started. the tub will have an access panel to house my battery, fuse block, etc.

little work on the hood and doors and the sheet metal work is done!

807.jpg

Headlights mounted and hood opening finished. started a little filler work but no pics yet. I ma trying to ID the headlight buckets btw if anyone has a clue. When I bought them I was told mid 40's International, but the best match I could find is "38 commercial international", but its still not a perfect match.

They take a 7" light but they measure about 9-9½ wide and came with large heavy cast mounts. they would have on a curved surface and on the outside curve of a fender possibly.

849.jpg

848.jpg

845.jpg

And here is a better shot of What I did with the hood:

851.jpg

846.jpg

Great thread!
I am new to the site and didn't see this thread yet. I am amazed of how detailed some of these threads are. It is a huge help to us new guys. Cant wait to see more of the volksrod!!
Brian

With the new engine, it was decided that we needed to get a few more gauges in the car to keep track of the monster motor. Like all the other modifications with this car, we didn't want to just slap the gauges into the dash or use some mounting hardare that looked like it came from the local Autozone, Kragen's etc. We decided that we loved how the dash looked as is, so we then started looking at some kind of center console. So we started looking on ebay at small motorcycle gas tanks and then headlight buckets. We ended up using a single headlight bucket.

Well the headlight bucket was the right length, but it was way too wide at the point, so we took a pie cut that was about 2" out of that end and welded it back together. The light was missing the trim ring, so we used 3/8" steel rod to form the front lip with sheetmetal filling the opening (must have been 14g metal or thicker!) We also decided to take the pie cut piece, form a little lip on it and we added it to the top of the bucket to form a nice shape on the top.

We then drilled the holes for the gauges and set it in the car. Now on with the pics...

IMG_1235Small.jpg

IMG_1236Small.jpg

IMG_1241Small.jpg

IMG_1243Small.jpg

IMG_1246Small.jpg

awesome fabrication skills on your build. I love the stance it has with the beam extended. I wish i could find a set of those wheels for my project.

Latest posts

Back