'35 Ford 1 1/2 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting a build thread to help track my progress and keep me motivated on this project. I seem to start really strong on a project, but lose interest soon after. This one I want to be driving by spring, so I hope I stay on track long enough to meet that goal.

haha almost 4 years ago i started this, thought I could finish it in 6 months!!:p maybe I was watching too many "build-off" shows on TV

You seem to be making really good progress now though. Must have just gotten stalled out there for a bit during that 4 year stretch!

I've been kinda stalled a bit this summer. It is summer though so a little hard to have motivation when it's super hot in the garage and there are a bunch of other things that I need and or want to get done.

put the truck back together, hooked up the steering. going to have to brace up the subframe that the steering box is mounted on to get rid of the flex when it turns. I also might put a slight bend in the draglink for right turn tire clearance. It is 1 inch solid round so I am not worried about it flexing. the entire suspension is going to have grade 8 hardware with safety wire or cotter pins.

had to put a slight bend in the drag link for tire clearance when turning right, it is 1 inch solid round stock.

The only thing that I see is it will make centering the steering wheel a little tough is all.
the steering column is splined, so I can just move the wheel a tooth over. both tires hit the hairpins anyways, so I'll never be able to go lock to lock.

You seem to be making really good progress now though. Must have just gotten stalled out there for a bit during that 4 year stretch!

I've been kinda stalled a bit this summer. It is summer though so a little hard to have motivation when it's super hot in the garage and there are a bunch of other things that I need and or want to get done.
yeah, 2013-2015 I didnt really get anything done. was riding motorcycles every day I could.

after spending a week vacationing in Japan, and thousands of dollars, im back to working on the truck. started on the bed today, cut out the inner frame, shortened the sides 9" and notched them for the axle. Now I really have to roll it outside to get the placement pefect.

Lookin good[cl Is your grill really going to sit that low?

Where'd you go in Japan? I lived in Fukuoka-ken for 3 years.

Lookin good[cl Is your grill really going to sit that low?

Where'd you go in Japan? I lived in Fukuoka-ken for 3 years.

Nah, just leaned it up for the pic. I will section it and figure out placement when i get a radiator. I took my kids on a tour of tokyo, osaka, and kyoto.

bought a 3 row mustang radiator and a bracket to move the alternator to the lower left. made the first cut to section the grille shell. lots of head scratching to mount the rad and shell, since I cut off the front frame horns ahead of the axle. its going to work out though. the grille shell is going to pivot forward for access to the rad cap. I fugured I could make that work instead of spending 4-5 hundred dollars on a hot rod radiator to fit.

Looking good. Looks like a lot of work to section that grill and get all the bars reconnected. I have been told that you need to have a pretty light hand with the welder when welding them because the metal is deceptively thin. If you come up with any special tricks or tips, post em up!

Looking good. Looks like a lot of work to section that grill and get all the bars reconnected. I have been told that you need to have a pretty light hand with the welder when welding them because the metal is deceptively thin. If you come up with any special tricks or tips, post em up!

Thanks! I plan to use my tig for the grille bars, turned down low with a 1/16" electrode.

Latest posts

Back