1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't post a picture of the dash. The gauges are a swap meet by 3 Autometers fo $20. Gotta love swap meets.

005-26.jpg

007-21.jpg

Got a windshield put in yesterday. A guy in our car club helped me put it in. He used to run a glass shop so he showed me how to do it. I could probably do it next time.

029.jpg

031.jpg

034.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking truck.Looks like she'a coming together real good for ya.Thats kinda the look I'm hoping my IH will be when I'm done .

The windshield looks great!! :cool: Ok, the P.C. is done now right? I'm really happy for you Don. It must feel good to be practically finished. I've got a great idea! Now you can drive it to Tennessee and give me a hand with mine! :D :D

Thunder1

Great looking truck.Looks like she'a coming together real good for ya.Thats kinda the look I'm hoping my IH will be when I'm done .

The windshield looks great!! :cool: Ok, the P.C. is done now right? I'm really happy for you Don. It must feel good to be practically finished. I've got a great idea! Now you can drive it to Tennessee and give me a hand with mine! :D :D

Thunder1

Thanks Guys. Done you say, they're never done. I'm probably over doing it. I got some carpet to put in it, wire up the Tach, reverse lights and the CD player.

I changed out 3 expansion plugs on the head because 2 were leaking. I changed the one that wasn't leaking because I fiigured if I didn't it would start leaking. Well guess what it's now leaking. :mad:

Yeah, Thunder1 I'll be right over.

Here's the Tach.

030.jpg

Finished the trans cover. I made it removable. I had a shifter boot somewhere. I need to find it in one of my piles.

032.jpg

A shot of the interior and upholstery. If anyone needs Mexican Blankets we can get them pretty cheap here. let me know. From about $6 like the ones I have up to about $30 for the really colorful nice ones.

033.jpg

Looking good,Was the Windsheild install was just a can of silicone spray and a small diameter rope?

Also I saw your buddy with the roadster yesterday at the Good Guys in Pleasinton.

Looking good,Was the Windsheild install was just a can of silicone spray and a small diameter rope?

Also I saw your buddy with the roadster yesterday at the Good Guys in Pleasinton.

Yup, cut it down 4" put the weather striping on and ran a cord around the inside the groove that mounts on the body, sprayed it with silicone and set it in place on the outside. I held it in place and applied pressure on it and he pulled the cord. Kind of just slipped right into place. Then used some nylon sticks to make sure the weather striping was in place. Done.

Did you get some pictures of the Good Guys Show?

Put the carpet in. This more and more getting to be not a Rat Rod. I may as well paint it and get it over with. Carpet was $15 at Wally Mart. The outside pieces are glued down with contact cement.

001-25.jpg

003-26.jpg

This center piece is held in place by Velcro so it will come out so I can remove the Transmission cover. Please excuse the chaulk marks.

004-25.jpg

Last edited:
I did finish the e-brake last week. I used one of the pedals I had laying around. This ones out of some GM product. I used the cable also and hooked it up to Lokar cables from the rear brakes. To complicated to modify and use the stock GM ones. They were way to stiff and I couldn't run them where I wanted.

I changed brake shoes while I had it torn apart.

008-22.jpg

013-8.jpg

014-5.jpg

016-3.jpg

I also installed the seat belts. When I restored the Chevelle I put in all new ones so I saved the old ones. I was thinking of using the shoulder harnesses but those old ones don't retract so you can't move.

006-28.jpg

007-22.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragement. I hope you've enjoyed this build as much as I have. You guys are the "Best"! Wow this was fun. I need to build another one. Thunder1 bring your stuff over we'll whip yours out in no time.

Man, I think I'm ready to go for a ride this weekend. I'll make sure I have my AAA card and cell phone just in case. Now about that CD player!!! ;) :D

Last edited:
man you did a great j.o.b. putting that carpet in, ur raght it doesnt look too much like a rat anymore. be carefull you'll have to move to that other board lol! enjoy the ride! dp1

One note..on e-brakes.

Looks awesome dmw but like I had to remind so many of my customers when using there e-brake....Either you do it ALL of the time or dont use it at all !! .Cant count how many times I would see them towed in on the back of a tow truck because the back brakes were locked on or even worse...driving while the e-brake was still on but the light inside of the car was off..."But the light was off.." Doesnt mean a thing.People would cringe when I gave them there work order and they saw the damage they did to there cars.YOU need to check your cables constantly because the do gather all of the nastys from the road.ALWAYS pull your shoes off and check to make sure the e-brake bar is free and clear with distance in between the shoes.I would sure hate as hell to see this happen to someone...aint fun sitting by the road side way waiting on a tow truck and even WORSE....in the middle of MAYBERRY RFD town...cause you know goober the town mechainc is going to rake you over the coals to fix it.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragement. I hope you've enjoyed this build as much as I have. You guys are the "Best"! Wow this was fun. I need to build another one. Thunder1 bring your stuff over we'll whip yours out in no time.

Man, I think I'm ready to go for a ride this weekend. I'll make sure I have my AAA card and cell phone just in case. Now about that CD player!!! ;) :D

DMW - Actually, I was thinking.... Since your in the mood for a drive, and your ready to start building another one, just hop on I-40 and head east until you hit Nashville. Don't forget your AAA card, your cell phone, AND a welder and your plasma cutter. Then we can chop and channel my cab and you could be back in N.M. in no time! :D Sounds like a plan to me!!! Since you got your glass installed the 40 + degree weather over the weekend shouldn't be that big of a deal either. Ok, sounds great! Your a swell guy DMW!! See you this weekend!!! :D

I'm still thinking.....Then after you get back to N.M. we can make plans for you to come back the following weekend and we can get to work on the rest of the frame. Ok, that's awesome! :cool: See you soon! At this rate mine should be done in time for Christmas!!! By the way, the carpet and all the other newly installed components look great too!

Thanks Don!

Thunder1 - Pat

Last edited:
Took the Pumkin Chunker for a drive this morning. I went about 20 miles. When I got back I took some picture. Still have a couple of small issues that need to be addressed....Sure does get a lot of stares on the road.

030-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

013-9.jpg

023-1.jpg

Last edited:
I keep showing this pic..

I cant help but laugh every time I re-read this thread and show my GF the pic of your wife holding a grinder..She just kinda looks at me.."In your dreams" is the caption above her head..:D. But he got his other to help him..."Yeah,but she has a ring on..I dont."YOUR not a team player..." I say... Besides...I dont trust that woman with ANY power tools in her hands..made her mad WAY too many times....:eek:

Latest posts

Back