1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to make it a little quieter before the test run and built my grain auger inserts for the side pipe. Started with an old chunk of 5"auger price was free :D
Cut it down to fit inside the 3.5"exhaust tube. Then made four rings of exhaust tube 1"wide that were a slip fit in the pipes. Welded one to each end of the 23"long auger sections so they won't rattle. Slid them in and used a tech screw on each ring to secure them. Then a band clamp to hold my turn downs on and allow me to hang the end of the side pipe off the frame.

Thanks mdlahotrod.

Got my windshield installed for $116.00 installed taxes in[cl

And the dash made and Sunpro 1.5"gauges installed.

Got a couple of oil leaks and a coolant leak to look into and the wiring still looming over me

Tail, marker and turn signals done. Had a real tough time figuring out what to use, so many posts on the site where everyone says most of the popular ones are way over done. So I figured I would go where no one has gone before, 1920's style porcelain tin coffee cups with LED lights in them.

I'll chime in here on the suspension design...

A: You are correct. The mount through the hairpin is the same idea as a traverse spring behind set up. Loads will be the same. Just use a fastener that will handle the load in shear

B: Due to how long the hairpin is IE: from pivot to axle center, I don't think you will get very much caster gain +/- from aired all the way up to dropped 100%. That being said I would suggest setting your caster angle at where you want your ride height. You won't have a worry about caster when it's on the ground.

C: You might want to sneak a pan hard bar in there somewhere if you start to see side to side movement. In a traditional traverse spring you compress the spring (which makes it longer due to flattening the arc) and attach the shackles. This puts tension on the shackles on both sides and resists side to side movement. Another point is the spring needs the shackle because it changes length as it compresses or decompresses. Your set up has the lower arm / bag mount as a solid arm that does not change length as it moves up and down and therefore no tension on the shackles. This could make the axle pivot side to side on the shackles.

Just food for thought and in no way meant as a dig on your build. [P

Just as you suggested way back a pan hard bar was needed. I never saw the movement till I got the power steering hooked up, but it's taken care of now.
Thanks.

And I picked this lovely lady up at the Lethbridge swap meet and she just had to go here to guide me down the highway.

Latest posts

Back