1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin good Bob, My 39 is so frigin load I dont think i could afford a stereo I could hear over the pipes. Cal

As always Bob, you done a great job! I love those old Plymouth trucks. It seems like you beat me to the punch by adding a sound system in your truck. Me thinks these rats are getting very sufisticated as time goes by. I am thinking of adding the same thing but with vidieo cams (to help see traffic lights since the top got crushed) and Nav system..........[cl

Curt

Speakers in the truck, now folks in traffic can hear the Leningrad Cowboys.
402471-1.gif

CNotch001.jpg

The way the truck sits now there is about 4" of axle to frame clearance. Interestingly, my S-10 Extreme has only 2 1/2" to the bump stop. However, I don't know how much more the back will sink with more weight. Also, if it sits too high I might want to add small lowering blocks.[S So I figured out how much I could "C" the frame without having to alter to floor of the box.
Here's the plates I cut out 1/8" plate using an angle grinder. The notch filler was cut out of a piece of 3/16" wall 3 1/2" box tubing.

Last edited:
CNotch011.jpg

A look at the outside of the frame. The horizontal weld along the bottom of the plate will be made when the frame is standing on its side. Also, all the holes in the firewall are patched. Next, it's on to the shifter installation. Still waiting for the box to get done by the Jerry the Sandblaster. I found some perfect material at the steel yard for box crossmembers. Looking forward to getting the box mounted. Exciting for me, [P for you readers!
Yep, the Leningrad Cowboys sing to me most every day in the garage. Lately "Men at Work" have joined the playlist. I like the name.:D

Last edited:
Box003.jpg

I got the box back from Jerry the Sandblaster and the steel floor that was welded over the wood floor many years ago was too thin and rusted out to retain.:( So out it all came. After straightening the box sides and replacing the lower 3" of the front panel I put in new crossmembers. They look like rectangular tubing but actually have an opening on the side you can't see so the mounting bolts are easy to install. 1 1/4" by 1 1/4" angle iron was welded along the sides and front panel to hold the new floor.

As to hearing the stereo, this truck is going to have so much insulation and sound deadening material that it will be quiet as a library inside. That way I'll be able to hear Frank Zappa's "Billy the Mountain" without any road noise.:D

Remember, this is going to be my daily driver. Comfort is key!

HeaterCore001.jpg

Ok, experts. Is there any reason that an air conditioner core like this cannot be used as a heater core?

Heater001.jpg

I have a couple under dash aftermarker air conditioning units. I had visions of using one for a heater. Flipper set me straight on using the air conditioning core.

Heater002.jpg

So I went to my friend Al's auto parts store and found a heater core on the closeout table for $16.00. After staring at it for a while I determined it would fit if it was set in at an angle. I made some internal baffles to direct the air from both blowers through the core.

Last edited:
Heater006.jpg

Since the Plymouth will be driven year 'round I want really good defrosters. Two outlets were welded to the top to run duct hose to the windshield. The funnels that are attached under the dash and direct air to the glass were modified to connect to the larger than original hose. The original grille on the front of the unit was blocked off with an aluminum plate.

Heater004.jpg

A mounting plate was fabbed to bolt the unit to the firewall. It tucks up under the dash and will hardly be noticeable. Won't interfere with the passenger's feet either. Only drawback is; no glove compartment. When I connected it to a battery it blew a bunch of dust and crap into my face with lots of force. I was thinking, "You are like a hurricane!" Sorry, Neil Young...:D

thanks for the updates, bob[cl--i love the creature comfort approach to rat-rodding.....you give me inspiration to go make my 46 ford a little more "comfortable.....":D

[P
HRP

Power steering & brakes. Overdrive automatic trans. Stereo. Heater and defrost. Power, heated leather seats. Cruise. Sound deadening and insulation. Radial tires. It's going to be a Q-ship. No power windows though. And no air. What do you think, I'm a wussy?:D

hey bob it looks like it might starting to dry up around here in South Dakota and i am back on my feet, well somewhat. Here soon we will have to see if we can get ya a couple of new projects. ohh and this truck is looking good

Last edited:
HRP, thanks for your interest. My plan was to not work on the truck this summer. I wanted to get some other hot rod work completed and spend more time drag racing and just having fun.
In the fall work will start up again.
I'm also getting some crazy ideas for resurecting the fiberglass Fiat body that is up the hill, under the pine trees.:D

Latest posts

Back