1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice build, theres a junkyard close by me here in NC that has two of these Plymouth trucks id love to get my hands on but the owner of the yard is going to "fix em up" one day (been sittin there for years along with about 50 other 30's to 50's cars and trucks waiting to be "fixed up").

GasTank001.jpg

Thanks for the kind remarks. Knowing that RRR members are watching the build is a good motivator.
I trimmed the rear crossmember for the gas tank. Then made straps from 1/8" by 2" flat stock. There is a 1/8" by 3/4" "backbone" welded to the bottom of each strap to eliminate flex.

GasTank002.jpg

I stole the 14 gallon fuel cell from my Crosley. Since the Crosley is now a drag only car, it got a 3 gallon cell. Rummaging around in my "attic warehouse of forgotton parts" I came up with a Stewart Warner "Wings" fuel gauge and sender.

GasTank003.jpg

I don't weld aluminum, so Terry & Lee, Tator on RRR, welded the 2" aluminum tube into the tank and the bracket to mount the other tube to the frame rail. The long tube through the frame will be shortened and a 90 degree hose elbow will be used to bring the filler tube and gas cap through the rear fender. Exact location still to be determined.

Yep...Bob we're watchin you..:D Great job you doin on that truck. Canardly wait to see you burn rubber..[cl

I'm impressed beyond words! [cl I can't wait for the finished product...Those style Trucks always looked good to me...CR:D

Dash001.jpg

Cut a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum for a gauge panel. Also cut a hole in that nice original dash for a radio. I didn't have a 3-3/8" hole saw for the speedometer hole but I did have a 3" hole saw. So I had to enlarge the hole with....

Sounds001.jpg

My friend Leo had no use for some new Infinity speakers. It's hard to find a good location in an old truck for speakers. Little pods were made to hang under the dash for the 3 1/2" mid range/tweets. When they are flat black they won't be so visible.

Sounds002.jpg

The doors are too thin to fit the 6" by 9" 3 ways so I mounted them in the cab corners. I hope the system sounds ok with these speaker locations. Since some grandsons were over today for pizza I put 'em to work throwing the bed into my truck so I can take it to Jerry the sandblaster tomorrow.
I need some warmer weather so I can get to the junkyard for more parts.
Also, a nice fellow came over last week to cut down the seat backs so they will slide back farther providing more leg room. After we got the frames modified he took the stuff with him to alter the upholstry.

Sounds002.jpg

The doors are too thin to fit the 6" by 9" 3 ways so I mounted them in the cab corners. I hope the system sounds ok with these speaker locations. Since some grandsons were over today for pizza I put 'em to work throwing the bed into my truck so I can take it to Jerry the sandblaster tomorrow.
I need some warmer weather so I can get to the junkyard for more parts.
Also, a nice fellow came over last week to cut down the seat backs so they will slide back farther providing more leg room. After we got the frames modified he took the stuff with him to alter the upholstry.

Lookin' good, Bob. Nothing at all wrong with the under dash speakers. I did that with my old Chevelle ragtop back in High School, tho I "hid" them by tucking up out of sight under each end of the dash...not ideal for sound, but better than the single stocker in the centre!:D Yours will sound just fine facing the occupants. Cab corners are a good spot for the 6x9's, too. You might want to consider using the "peel and seal" stuff discussed in the How-To forum, just to solidify those steel speaker boxes and reduce vibration.

Keep us posted, I'm diggin' your practical builds.

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back