1949 Bentley Boattail Speedster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elegant Rat Elegant Rat Elegant Rat Elegant Rat

I like it, but any way I say that--It just doesn't sound right.... Its kinda like those phrases that can't go together 'Fighting for peace' 'Military intelligence' .

I'm a fat gray haired redneck, the son of a bootlegger, born at the edge of a cotton patch. I've been a logger, a teamster, a hard rock miner, a farmer and a prison guard. I run a crew of X sailors, jarheads, convicts and crazies for a Public water Utility. I don't really do 'elegant'. :)

What I'm building is a huge, rough, sports car for a fat guy. A 128" wheelbase, rusty, 2 seater with a turbocharged industrial motor out of a wrecker.. I'm trying to add a little much needed class to the project and myself using the Bentley and painting the rust flat black.

The company advertised the Bentley as a "Gentlemans Sports Car' ..

How about 'A Gentlemans Rat' ??

Thats pretty far 'above my rasin' right there. :p

Thanks for the comments-guys--rattins fun..

PA41

Elegant Rat Elegant Rat Elegant Rat Elegant Rat

I like it, but any way I say that--It just doesn't sound right.... Its kinda like those phrases that can't go together 'Fighting for peace' 'Military intelligence' .

I'm a fat gray haired redneck, the son of a bootlegger, born at the edge of a cotton patch. I've been a logger, a teamster, a hard rock miner, a farmer and a prison guard. I run a crew of X sailors, jarheads, convicts and crazies for a Public water Utility. I don't really do 'elegant'. :)

What I'm building is a huge, rough, sports car for a fat guy. A 128" wheelbase, rusty, 2 seater with a turbocharged industrial motor out of a wrecker.. I'm trying to add a little much needed class to the project and myself using the Bentley and painting the rust flat black.

The company advertised the Bentley as a "Gentlemans Sports Car' ..

How about 'A Gentlemans Rat' ??

Thats pretty far 'above my rasin' right there. :p

Thanks for the comments-guys--rattins fun..

PA41

Who cares what you call it? This thing's gonna be COOL!!!:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Last edited:
Sweet sunshine and spring all over--Got a few more details done-- I Decided to get her running and drive out of the shop and hang the boattail and fenders on where I can see how they are lined up, and also set the rear stance.

So needed the Exhaust in, brakes up, battery located, steering in, seat located, floor in, --I'll temp in a gas tank and fuel pump--I haven't decided where to locate it yet.

Heres some exhaust shots and the battery tray-too easy, 15 mins---everything came from the coupe donor.

Turbos make a real sweet sound without mufflers. The spinning turbine blades cut the harshness out of the exhaust--still pretty loud--but deep and smoooooooth.. The exhaust note alone is worth the trouble..

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 145.jpg
    bentleybuild 145.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 52
  • bentleybuild 147.jpg
    bentleybuild 147.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 55
  • bentleybuild 148.jpg
    bentleybuild 148.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 62
  • bentleybuild 149.jpg
    bentleybuild 149.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Used the brake pedal from the Buick donor. Nice forged piece with the curved arm.. The mastercylinder is on the chasis in the rear--I need a pretty long pushrod --3/4" thick wall DOM--plan to get it from the iron yard this week along with some more 1x1 sq tube for the boattail structure.

PA41.

Attachments

• bentleybuild 152.jpg
    bentleybuild 152.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 47
  • bentleybuild 153.jpg
    bentleybuild 153.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Laid the floor pieces- and temped in a steering shaft/wheel--53 Mercury.-I'm a fan of checkerplate :) ..Also snagged the seats from a Toyota Cressida donor car I bought a while back. 80K miles--inline 6 cylinder twin OHC. Runs great--Had a dash short/fire. $300.. The seats are great--real comfy leather--lotsa adjustment--I think lumbar support too. I'll probably remove the headrests and stick a button in the holes or something--

Also--I needed some special metric tapered head screws to mount the Bentley door hinges-- They were perfect fit--off an 88 Toyota.. :)

The last shot is the view from the drivers seat. You really sit down IN the car--the door top is at the top of my sholder. I could cut 3" more out of the windshield if needed. The hood looks like the deck of an aircraft carrier from the drivers seat. 6' 3" from the base of the windshield to the end of the grill.

PA41.

Attachments

• bentleybuild 164.jpg
    bentleybuild 164.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 49
  • bentleybuild 166.jpg
    bentleybuild 166.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 53
  • bentleybuild 157.jpg
    bentleybuild 157.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I just stacked the Buick grill pieces in--kinda proped in crooked--just to think about. Need to trim a little on the shell to get them to fit, and build a bottom for them ..

Maybe flat black them and lightly sand the high edges? They look like they will take over the front end if I don't -- need to minimize them I think..

Also played with a Petty/Nash hood ornament I picked up somewhere.. I get a kick out of them. Nash--a clunky old school teachers car with a naked lady hood ornament.. :) Probably not use it--I'll see.

Good week end--easy to get stuff done when the weather cooperates.

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 168.jpg
    bentleybuild 168.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 64
  • bentleybuild 169.jpg
    bentleybuild 169.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 77
  • bentleybuild 174.jpg
    bentleybuild 174.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 67
lookin good

[cl deffinitly still digin it and looking forward to seeing the rear proffile as well. thinkin loosing that hump that was on the back is the best thing thats happened to that car in a long time..actually started to cut it off several times ..Sammy

You rolled it outside and didn't take any full shots from a distance?!? :confused:

No -- I have to get it running so I CAN get it outside to work on the profile and placement of the tail. Not running yet..

Also plan to back it in and be able to get to the tail/fender work easier. One of the reasons I've built little cars in the past is my shop is so small (and full of junk) that I can't get around a big full fendered car easily. I'm liking this big of a rig--Shoulda have built a bigger one sooner--I'm way too big for the Ts and As I've been messin with.

I was sitting in the cockpit of the speedster yesterday and was so comfy I almost dozed off!! Old man nappin in the shop-- :)

I'll be sure to take lots of picks to study when I get it out in the yard--find a flat spot--maybe in a week--depends on how this upcoming nose cauterizing thing works out--Kinda worrying me--I'm a sissy when it comes to cutting on me--or burning in this case..

PA41

[cl deffinitly still digin it and looking forward to seeing the rear proffile as well. thinkin loosing that hump that was on the back is the best thing thats happened to that car in a long time..actually started to cut it off several times ..Sammy

Yeah--that trunk back thing doesn't work--a styling mistake most car companies made back then..

Thanks for the new toy sammy, I'm really getting a kick outta playing with it. Pretty much of a challenge for me. Blending the tail into the body is gonna be a trick--the doors are squareish, but the hood corners are rounded with flat sides, so maybe the round looking edges and flat sides of the tail will work. The transition from the door post back into the tail is gonna be a trick though..

Later

PA41

I think the grill needs verticle slats.
Yeah I'm kinda agreeing with that too. The Buick grill looks too 'Buick'..

Maybe play with some 1/2" - 3/4" tubeing (conduit?) and go upNdown with it.. Experiment with that a little later. I'm kinda antsy to get the rear fenders and boattail on--Thats what will make or break the project. To get there I'm forced into doing that everyday kinda stuff of getting it motivating on its own.

Thanks for all the input--'preciate the thoughts.

PA41

This thing gets better and better :)

Thanks E-man--I'm having a real good time with it. I've done cars for --lessee--I'm 58--started my first when I was 14 (55 ford sunliner)--thats -- uhhh--LONG TIME!! 40-50 years er so. I have owned hundreds of cars..
Seen --millions..

I'm getting kinda jaded, and if it's not unique It doesn't interest me much anymore. This thing ain't just unique--its maybe weird.. :)

I'm afraid I'm turning into one of those guys that glue junk all over an old car and call it ART-- ( Ireally kinda want to do that) Maybe when I have a stroke or something.. Or maybe if this speedster doesn't work out. I'll glue plastic horses all over it.

Later..

PA41

Your project has so much potential! You have done a terrific job so far getting proportions in order. If you get stuck making difficult shapes in the rear fender transition area, it would be worth getting a professional metal bender to lend a hand, just a little. Or, maybe Bonehead and Rodguy can help in designing a buck from which a pattern can be made. From there you might find shapes from donors you can piece together or you can learn the ancient art of panel forming. I can't get the picture of glued on plastic horses out of my mind!

I liked the way the tractor grill sat back from the fenders sort of like a Cord. It just needed some work to assure it didn't look like it came off a tractor. I'm sure you'll do well with the Buick grill too.

Ooops ! I was speed reading - thought you said you rolled it out. When you do, we can have at it with photoshop to throw ideas at ya. If you haven't noticed, a lot of use are pretty psyched about your project.

Plastic horses! :D

more plastic horses!!

that is a novel idea, PA!![cl[cl
a few plastic horses running after the "shiney-lady" hood ornament:D

i actually forgot to tell ya, (almost 'fraid to,:eek:) that John Deere wire mesh grill kinda looked cool in the pic--sorta like one from some other car (someone said Cord, but i dunno)

it's one of those things i couldn't visualize the day i was there[S

hope the "nose job" turns out o.k.--if ya need me for anything just holler

I need to tell you folks I appreciate you and your input and comments, and a thanks to RRR for providing a place where I can openly discuss my sometimes 'of the wall' interests with a group of Mature, open minded, Respectable, Real world, people.

I do take this stuff seriously, even if I horse around and sometimes kinda act like a bozo, I'm eyeball deep in this culture, I live and breath this, and have since I was 14. My off handed, sometimes cavailer comments about what I'm doing is not to be taken as disrespctfull to the people or the culture--I'm just a little 'funny turned'.

People like you show that even on the net, the car culture/hobby can be a positive, benificial place for all of us. Thanks.

(I've been doing 'research' on boattail construction and guess where I ended up for the last 1/2 hour?? ----Feel like I need a shower. It ain't worth it.)

PA41

Latest posts

Back