1950 chevy Bel-air in the making

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that 2x2" holding up your hood? :)

On m '51 I'm staying traditional and using a broom handle. :D

Glad to see you are on the road.

Looks great out in the fresh air...:cool:

If all goes well, I should be starting on mine soon!!!:)

Thanks! I'll be looking for your build thread :D

Is that 2x2" holding up your hood? :)

On m '51 I'm staying traditional and using a broom handle. :D

Glad to see you are on the road.

HAHAHAHAA.... yes, that is a 2x2..... I need to get some hood springs.... I guess I'll have to get new ones, I haven't found any good used ones and the car didn't have them when I got it..... In the mean time, I'm gonna see if I can locate that old patina covered broom handle I had around here somewhere[S

ain't it fun driving them [S It's the pay back for saving a life. [cl

Yes sir!!!! So much fun... that 327.... wow... didn't realize what I did would make it come so alive! I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do on my air-ride.... I think it will look better when I get it lower :D

A Proper Shifter.....

Well, I got around to building a shifter for the Chevy over the holiday weekend, I scored an old Mr. Gasket 3 speed shifter from ebay earlier in the year with plans of using it with my automatic... since the one's spectre made have all but disappeared.... well, I found some but the guy apparently bought out the old stock and is selling them for $100 and that was about $60 than I paid for the one in my truck and wasn't going to happen.... anyway....

Initially I cut a hole near the driver pedal and hooked up the old caprice rod and bent it about 5 different ways.. which was enough to get from park to drive... and a temporary fix.... but I wanted a floor mounted shifter with some 'throw' so I now have this

The 1st picture is the 'jim-bo' quickie shifter

The 2nd pic is the 'park' position of the new shifter

The 3rd pic is the 'drive' position of the new shifter

I've loving it so far... not too short or too tall... just right :D

Attachments

• WP_20140901_15_15_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140901_15_15_48_Pro.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 36
  • WP_20141225_22_37_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141225_22_37_10_Pro.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 34
  • WP_20141225_22_37_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141225_22_37_30_Pro.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
Nice work 13....moving along nicely.... [cl :D

Me too.
Torchie.

Me three
remember which way is forward and which way is back[cl

Thanks for all the Kudos guys, I'm very happy with the $35 shifter....

Funny you mention 'Which way is forward and back' Soltz..... initially I had it backwards with the 1st picture... I made sure I got the linkage to throw on the correct size of the shifter link of the transmission this time... I'm excited to see how this works with the center console :D

Oh... I scored some new seats too... picture will surface sometime ;)

Your ride is looking good. Here's a couple o shots of my 49.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 35
Yeah.... I've been getting at it!

I took sometime to 'Fine-tune' my back yard body swap on a concrete slab....

I initially thought the body was crooked by 3/4" to 1-1/4", which wasn't going to work for me, rat or not, it needed to be straight..... so after measuring the distance from the floor to the fenders, I realized that wouldn't work because the tires weren't the same up front, so I measured the distance from the floor to the frame, after adjusting the tire pressure and then measured the floor to the center of each wheel .... and then checked the fenders....

AND

It turns out the car is within 1/8" over all..... so I think I'll leave it :D

I then continued where I left off for welding the two halves together

and discovered.. that there is an inner fender extension that was riveted to the body in the old 50, so i was able to remove that and not cut more metal out.... so far things are shaping up nicely...

Attachments

• WP_20150102_12_35_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150102_12_35_22_Pro.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20150102_12_35_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150102_12_35_19_Pro.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20150102_12_48_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150102_12_48_30_Pro.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 22
  • WP_20150102_12_48_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150102_12_48_39_Pro.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
Yep.
One of the young bloods that comes over once in a while to help always tries to measure things on the project from the ground.:eek:
I am always telling him that unless the car is on stands and perfectly level to use a fixed point on the frame as things like spring sag,tire pressure,etc, can make a difference in the way an old vehicle sits.
Looking good CC.:D
Torchie.

Yep.
One of the young bloods that comes over once in a while to help always tries to measure things on the project from the ground.:eek:
I am always telling him that unless the car is on stands and perfectly level to use a fixed point on the frame as things like spring sag,tire pressure,etc, can make a difference in the way an old vehicle sits.
Looking good CC.:D
Torchie.

Thanks Torchie, you are absolutely right! I was glad I was able to take my time and make sure I got things where I neeed them to be, I guess its off to the 'Rocker Race' now, I think I'm going to replace the entire rocker rather then trying to piece them back together [;)

Latest posts

Back