1950 chevy Bel-air in the making

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to do a lot of catching up here too. What a fun build this has been. :cool:

Thanks! This build has been a lot of fun and a lot of learning, which makes it fun, it's not done yet, but the 1st phase in getting it mobile is done and the 2nd phase of rough-in fitness is under way... [;)

More to come :D

A Little Sun Bathing

Pulled the old Chevy out to mingle with my truck a little....[cl

Attachments

• WP_20150120_15_36_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150120_15_36_56_Pro.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 32
  • WP_20150120_15_37_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150120_15_37_10_Pro.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_20150120_15_40_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150120_15_40_09_Pro.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20150120_15_40_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150120_15_40_21_Pro.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 31
I've been thinking........

I bought this car initially because it was sooo cheap.... I thought it was cool but wasn't inlove will all of the body.... especially the rear fenders.... because the trunk sticks up so far past them..... if it was going for a tail drager i think it would work...however i love the rear fenders of a 54..... As time has passed I thought about possibly taing the knife to it and making the current fenders look more like the fenders on a 54.....

As time progressed I've come across a guy parting a 54.... and he has agreed to cutting out the rear fenders for me....

So what do you guys think? I think with the 54 rear fenders and the 50 fron and the 54 Buick bumper... this is turning out to be pretty sweet....

I included a pic of a 54 for reference and the 50

Attachments

• 1461912_10202015687465516_765753885_n.jpg
    1461912_10202015687465516_765753885_n.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 28
  • dropped rake.jpg
    dropped rake.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 27
I bought this car initially because it was sooo cheap.... I thought it was cool but wasn't inlove will all of the body.... especially the rear fenders.... because the trunk sticks up so far past them..... if it was going for a tail drager i think it would work...however i love the rear fenders of a 54..... As time has passed I thought about possibly taing the knife to it and making the current fenders look more like the fenders on a 54.....

As time progressed I've come across a guy parting a 54.... and he has agreed to cutting out the rear fenders for me....

So what do you guys think? I think with the 54 rear fenders and the 50 fron and the 54 Buick bumper... this is turning out to be pretty sweet....

I included a pic of a 54 for reference and the 50
Can you get the entire rear clip? Then splice them at the doors and under the back window.

Odds are you will like it better, and most people won't notice the difference, which is kind of the mark of a good job.

Measure, measure, measure. I can't tell form the pictures if the 54 quarters will hide your deck lid from the side or not. If they do, I think it will make for a more interesting back end than the stock 54. But I'm a Ford guy, so I could be nuts. I say go for it![;)

Can you get the entire rear clip? Then splice them at the doors and under the back window.

Odds are you will like it better, and most people won't notice the difference, which is kind of the mark of a good job.

Measure, measure, measure. I can't tell form the pictures if the 54 quarters will hide your deck lid from the side or not. If they do, I think it will make for a more interesting back end than the stock 54. But I'm a Ford guy, so I could be nuts. I say go for it![;)

Yeah, the guy said I can cut as much away as I need, so I think it will work out wel, I know it will be alot of test fits and clamping ans tack welds to get it just right, but I think it will look really sweet when it's all together...[cl

The 54 trunk has a higher bump that rolls almost flat on the decend... I think the 50 trunk will flow very nice between the fenders.... at least in my head it does hahahahhaaa

Yeah, the guy said I can cut as much away as I need, so I think it will work out wel, I know it will be alot of test fits and clamping ans tack welds to get it just right, but I think it will look really sweet when it's all together...[cl

The 54 trunk has a higher bump that rolls almost flat on the decend... I think the 50 trunk will flow very nice between the fenders.... at least in my head it does hahahahhaaa

I've always liked the 54 front and rear fenders better, and the hump on the trunk actually. On that one you posted I think I like enough better that I would basically want to turn the 50 into a 54. I think if you change the rear fenders the front end might look a little odd with the slope of the fenders. Might want to consider if you'll need to make changes to the front end to make it look how you want too.

I love a 54... I just haven't found one with a lowe enough $$$

I may look into doing the 54 front fenders... but I would have to do the doors too.... the beltline on the front fenders and doors are a bit higher on the 54.... but I think the rear belt line lines up ok..... but I will definately check it out.. I wish the car was closer.... I'm sure I can hammer enough metal and what not to make it all work :D

Cut away. It's only a Chevy, so no great loss. [ddd

Now if it had of been a Ford, we'd be doing some serious talking.......:D

What do ya think?

One of my buddies did a rendering for me at another site... thought I would share and see what you guys think about the idea?

Attachments

• 50Chevy-54fender render.jpg
    50Chevy-54fender render.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 26
Not to detract from your good taste ...

could be a simpler rout would still achieve "that look. "

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 23
One of my buddies did a rendering for me at another site... thought I would share and see what you guys think about the idea?
Thinking....
I kind of like what's going on so far. Mostly.

You have a flat line from the back to the windshield, then the front fenders go down hill, but the hood stays on that flat line.

What would happen if the hood was pie-cut to take the top line of the hood on the same line as the tops of the front fenders?

I think it would look rather modern. Aerodynamic. Slippery.

Latest posts

Back