1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That little jellybean needs some black circles with red numbers in 'em. Make it go faster. You are a good husband, Torchie. [clAnd a smart hot rodder. ;)

That little jellybean needs some black circles with red numbers in 'em. Make it go faster. You are a good husband, Torchie. [clAnd a smart hot rodder. ;)

I have always wanted to drop a V-8 into one of these baby's.:eek:

Yessir, ya know what they say. " if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"[cl

I promised my wife that she would have some fun this summer. This is just the start. After all I have put her through, she deserve it.:D
Torchie

You are a good husband indeed! if you really want that V-8 in there, look at a company called Monster Miata, they do kits to plug in a 302 / t-5 combo in that car and it's pretty much a bolt in. Can't wait to see more progress on the truck!

I have always wanted to drop a V-8 into one of these baby's.:eek:

I promised my wife that she would have some fun this summer. This is just the start. After all I have put her through, she deserve it.:D
Torchie

You are a good husband indeed! if you really want that V-8 in there, look at a company called Monster Miata, they do kits to plug in a 302 / t-5 combo in that car and it's pretty much a bolt in. Can't wait to see more progress on the truck!

Check out the 7 video build series of Thunderbolt on YouTube. 04 Mazda Speed Miata with an aluminum LS3 6.2L @ 525hp. Has a CTS-V rear end and a 6 speed trans!
He walks through the full install in a quick fashion. He hasn't yet finished it, but is close, and it's going to be amazing!
He notes all the parts he uses with part numbers. He used kits from chevy performance and Monster Miata which, for the most part, makes the whole thing bolt in. He did have to do some minor trans tunnel and front clip mods, but nothing out of any of our abilities to do.
The work he does actually makes it look very easy! Would be a nice break from fully fabricating an entire car :)
Might be a build for me in the future.

Thanks for the info guys. These little cars are a blast to drive and extremely reliable. Tons of them out there as well so the price of a used one is decent.
I looked into the V-8 swap thing a few years ago when we first bought the cars.(2 of them. One for each daughter that was getting their permits.)
Back in the mid 70's my brother and I installed a 215 Buick V-8 in his Vega Wagon.
Talk about a screamer.:)
Looking to getting into the shop this evening and hopefully make some progress.
Torchie

Miatas

Miata Dave strikes:

They are GREAT little cars, built to handle, which they do very well! My first was sort of a mistake, but after looking at crummy cars at a used car lot and trying to decide which I could live with, in drove this little white beauty they had just bought at auction - a one owner '93 with 70K miles on it. I took it for a test drive which included a nice tail slide around a corner where there happened to be a radar cop on his motorcycle that I hadn't seen. His bike wouldn't start, and it became one of those pull over or run situations, and I chose the latter! Took the first right, then zig-zagged through a neighborhood and got away, took it back to the lot and parked it in the back and "I'll take it!" That was February 2000 and the first of 29 Miatas in 14 years, as they became my source of income and joy; fixing and flipping them, autocrossing, and canyon carving.

When I turned 60, something happened in my brain and I sold off what I had. I felt unsafe on the freeway being at the same level as 18-wheeler lug nuts and with all the blind idiots that shouldn't be driving, and the SUV drivers that just don't seem to care if they kill someone in a little girly car. But the real kicker was getting out of them with bum knees (top up). Didn't have one for about a year, then got one more and proved to myself that my Miata days were indeed over.

Monster Miata is now defunct, but the guy who designed the swap is still selling a DIY kit. They used the 5.0 engine which is a heavy lump that completely ruins the balance and drive-ability of the car. The LS swap is much better since the aluminum block V8 weighs about the same as the 340 lb. Miata lump. It takes more than just an engine change, though, as you have to beef up a lot of the components, change the front subframe, etc.

Now get back on that bitchin' truck! :D

Wondered if I would hear from you Dave as I remember you mentioning your Miata obsession in an earlier post.
I used to be able to drive them as well until I lost the leg. Now the fake one hits the steering wheel.
My wife and daughters love them. My wife used to drive my Austin Healey but she always had a problem with it not starting. No problems with the Miata though.[cl
Been doing my best to accomplish something on the truck but it just doesn't seem to happen. Guess I just got to get back into my Groove.
Torchie

I find that stepping away from a project sometimes makes me more motivated to get back into it. Especially when I look at all the other builds on hear! I only wish I had half the talent (and patients) that you all have. I am sure once you can get back on your truck it will be like you never stopped.

After spending an unplanned afternoon at two Drs I got home and got the engine off the floor cart and onto stand.[cl
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 28
Just in case you guys think that I have given up.....

Well I haven't.......:D
Picked up this trans today.
1950 F-1 floor shift 3 speed. You sharp eyed guys will notice that this is an open drive shaft setup and my build is using the torque tube set up.
I am going to convert this trans to the torque tube setup. This will give me more room than the 3 on the tree that I was going to use. Plus I can then also change the length of my steering column if I need to.:cool:
The beauty of this find is that the case on this is the same as the much sought after and $$$$$$ 1939 Ford transmission. Plus the shift lever is uncut.[cl
Thanks for stopping by......
Torchie.
p.s. Also managed to find a few of these beauties.

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 31
Well I haven't.......:D
Picked up this trans today.
1950 F-1 floor shift 3 speed. You sharp eyed guys will notice that this is an open drive shaft setup and my build is using the torque tube set up.
I am going to convert this trans to the torque tube setup. This will give me more room than the 3 on the tree that I was going to use. Plus I can then also change the length of my steering column if I need to.:cool:
The beauty of this find is that the case on this is the same as the much sought after and $$$$$$ 1939 Ford transmission. Plus the shift lever is uncut.[cl
Thanks for stopping by......
Torchie.
p.s. Also managed to find a few of these beauties.
Nice trans. Yummy morels. A good day indeed. :D

"p.s. Also managed to find a few of these beauties." Torchie

I hear if you eat them all your grandbabies will be born nekkid!...:rolleyes:

That's going against the grain Torchie, most guys want to go to a open driveshaft! :D

And what are those things that look like grinding rocks?

Stay after it Torchie. Nice score on the transmission and the mushrooms.
I like them both.
When you get it on the road I'll meet you half way for coffee.

Latest posts

Back