1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using a 1954 Olds Rocket engine OI. 324 cubic inch. Real stump puller like the nailheads.:D The Hydra-matic are like the Dynaflows in that they have a coupler set up in stead of a conventional torque converter. So they just don't pull right out or just slide right in. And if the engine is seized(which mine isn't:) ) then they are a real bear to take off. When that happens they usually have to be removed with the crank still attached.
Torchie
Now that sounds like a serious pain... yup, right there... :D

Todays agenda....

Off to the leg store to start the fitting process for a new receptacle. That's the part that my stump fits into. This one doesn't fit too well now since all of my weight loss.:D [cl
Oh. And this is the mornings view out my front door. Doesn't do much to inspire confidence. Does it? :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0844.jpg
    IMG_0844.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 26
you can keep that stuff in the north my friend. 58 degrees on the way to work in the 29 this morning. Aw the feel of the wind blowing in through the cracks and floor boards/firewall/ etc. Life is all good.[cl

you can keep that stuff in the north my friend. 58 degrees on the way to work in the 29 this morning. Aw the feel of the wind blowing in through the cracks and floor boards/firewall/ etc. Life is all good.[cl

Dang Torchie, are you sure you guy's have a summer up there?
best of luck on the new fit..........

Snowing again, Bummer! I couldn't handle all that white stuff and cold.
Good luck at the Docs visit. You've got a truck to work on.

Snowed all day here. Got up to a whopping 34 degrees.[cl
Supposedly this is the last of the cold stuff. Temps are predicted to start rising in a couple of days.
Not such great news from the leg apt today. Back in the wheel chair as the ill fitting leg once again caused a sore on the stump. I knew it was happening which is why I went in but as I have little to no feeling down there it is hard for me to judge how bad. And where it is located is even harder to see. And with my wife just having had eye surgery, she can't see ..........Well lets just say it's there.
So at this point it's easy does it for a while till it heals up. Hope I can find some good movies to rent.[P
Torchie

Holy cow! High 80s here and we fished till 10 pm last night.
Hope you get that leg healed up soon, you got a project going...and a ride is near...

Dagnabbit, if they can't get the leg to fit right, come on down here and I'll build a stainless stand off and bolt it to the stump [ddd
Man, you've had a real ordeal with that leg :(

Holy cow! High 80s here and we fished till 10 pm last night.
Hope you get that leg healed up soon, you got a project going...and a ride is near...

Rub it in smallfoot.:D Snowing here again today.....

Dagnabbit, if they can't get the leg to fit right, come on down here and I'll build a stainless stand off and bolt it to the stump [ddd
Man, you've had a real ordeal with that leg :(

Seems like OI. In the 9 years that I have had a peg leg never had any problems with fit until this one. My leg guys are great and it truly upsets them when this happens. I had 3 of them working on me yesterday.....:cool:
The main issue now is the fact that after I ballooned up I have dropped almost 60 lbs so the receptacle is too big now. And you can only pad it up so much. Kind of like putting on extra pairs of socks to make a shoe that's too big fit.
And with my issues the chance of infection is always lurking nearby so any kind of wound gets every ones attention.:eek: :eek: :eek:
I will be back at it soon and beside it's just to darn cold out in the shop right now anyway......
Thanks for stopping by.
Torchie

Did get in a little shop time tonight.

Rolled out to the shop and started to strip the rocket.
The plan is to just do a "Refresh" rather then a rebuild on this engine as it is a runner.
De-sludge.New soft gaskets. New water pump. Timing chain. Rebuild the carb or go to a new one(Depending on the budget). Rebuild the oil pump and most likely block off the fuel pump and go with an electric or at least retro fit a non vacuum style one. The stock one is a monster.:eek:
The inside actually looks pretty clean given the age of the engine and the non detergent oil of the times.
Next step is to get it up on the stand and pull the pan. That may have to wait until I'm back in the leg or some help shows up.
Also I am supposed to go look at some cars that a friends uncle has stashed on his farm. That could be exciting.:D
Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 26
does look pretty clean for a old monster...

Take it easy on those field trips....we've gotten flurries down here but not like you guys got...WTH??!! Supposed to be getting warmer...not colder..[S Never got above 35 degrees here today...I'm amazed...:eek:

Not much to report.

Still in the chair but I did roll out to the shop to start to clean off the bench and organize some parts.
Went to look at the cars that I was told about. I was able to e driven right up to them.
Unfortunately the ravages of time had taken their toll. Didn't even bother with pics.
You know the story. Glass shot out. Frames buried in the ground. Roofs caved in. Blah,blah,blah. At least it was sunny out.:)
Torchie

Torchie ; you are an inspiration, with with your health issues and the cold weather you get more done than most. Take care and you will be back at it in no time. Too bad about the field trip, Nothing usable?

Torchie ; you are an inspiration, with with your health issues and the cold weather you get more done than most. Take care and you will be back at it in no time. Too bad about the field trip, Nothing usable?

There is always something usable Kenny.:D
There was a 53 Ford 4dr wagon. A 56 Pontiac 2dr sedan and a 57 Mercury 4dr hrdtop. Some odds and ends. Maybe some trim but they were really trashed out. He's not going to scrap them because scrap price is really low around here right now. Most likely if he does anything he will list them on CL and see what happens.
I told him what to take off the cars if he does scrap them but my bet is that 3 years from now they are still sitting there.:)
Torchie

Todays episode

Spent an hour or so sandblasting some pieces/parts.Getting ready to paint them.[cl
And just so you all don't think that all I do is sit around here are some pics of how I spent the last 3 days.
Rescuing this car from 2 years of slumber and poor storage. She is back being roadworthy and will be my wife's car for the summer/fall.:cool:
Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 30
Gonna be a fun summer for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope so OI.:)
This car has been passed around my family like a bowl of candy. It was 2 of my 3 daughters first car but had fallen on hard times. Luckily nothing major was wrong but about a dozen little thing.
All set now and back on the road.[cl
Torchie

Latest posts

Back